Wayne Brown (footballer, born 1988)
|Full name||Wayne Jonathan Brown|
|Date of birth||6 August 1988|
|Place of birth||Kingston upon Thames, England|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|2008||→ Brentford (loan)||11||(1)|
|2009||→ TPS (loan)||26||(9)|
|2010||→ Bristol Rovers (loan)||4||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 9 January 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
He has had loan spells with Brentford, TPS and Bristol Rovers before joining the side on a permanent deal on 25 May 2010. On 13 December 2012 he signed a two year contract with his former club TPS after rejecting a contract extension at Rovers.
Born in Kingston upon Thames, London, Brown is a midfielder that signed his first professional contract with Fulham. Brown would make his first appearance for the club's first team was in an FA Cup loss to Bristol Rovers on 22 January 2008. He signed a new contract with the Cottagers in January 2008 that will keep him at the club until 2010 and has been highly rated by Fulham reserve team manager Billy McKinlay, who tipped him to be a future star. He had a loan spell with Brentford towards the end of the 2007–08 season, making eleven League appearances and scoring one goal against Grimsby Town. Brown made his first senior League appearance for Fulham against Manchester United on 18 February 2009.
In April 2009 season, he joined Finnish side TPS Turku on loan until 16 August 2009. He scored for his new club in his league debut. On 31 July 2009, he converted a crucial penalty against Tampere United which kept TPS in the race for the championship.
Brown's loan with TPS Turku was extended until October to the end of the Finnish Premier League season. He was selected on 4 September 2009 as the Player of the Month for August in the Veikkausliiga. In October he was named the midfielder of the season and later he was nominated as the league player of the season. He scored 9 goals in 26 league appearances for TPS.
After a four year absent, Brown rejoined TPS Turku on a free transfer in his second spell, which will keep him until August 2014, although it optional to keep him until the end of the 2014 season. In first full season with the club, Brown was linked with Thailand side Roi Et United, but the move was broken down and Brown have since return to TPS.
During the summer of 2010, Brown joined Bristol Rovers on a two-year deal on a free transfer, and has gone straight into the squad as a regular starting player, after he was very pleased with his short loan spell. Wayne Brown made his debut on 7 August 2010, in a 3-0 defeat against Peterborough United. He made his home debut on 25 August 2010 in a 2-1 victory against local rivals Yeovil Town. He scored his first goal for Bristol Rovers in a 1–1 draw with Charlton Athletic at The Valley on 23 November 2010. During the Easter period of the year, Brown lack of first team became limited as he spent months in the substitute bench, without being used, by newly manager Dave Penney. In April, Brown soon returned to the first team and weeks later, he scored goals in consecutive games for the Pirates in their 2–2 draw to Charlton and their 2–1 loss to Bournemouth.
In his second season, Brown would be often used in first team ins and out, making twelve appearance. This was explained as Brown fracture in his ankle, ruling him out for three month, starting from October. In December, Brown is closing to full fitness, having not expected to return to first-team affairs until late January. After six months absent, Brown made his return from injury, coming on as a substitute, as Bristol Rovers beat Burton Albion 7-1 and was also in the squad for Bristol thrashing opposition when Brown come on and provided assist for Matthew Lund in a 5-1 win over Accrington Stanley, two weeks later. After making appearances, Brown says he is vow to stay by earning a new contract
On 4 July 2012, he signed a six month contract with Bristol Rovers, having offered a new deal. After making his return, having made his first start, Brown says he is delighted to return to the first team and since retained his first team status. In his last appearance, Brown was sent-off after a second bookable offence when Brown had a confrontation with James Meredith, as Bristol Rovers drew 3-3 against Bradford City.
In late-November, Brown rejected a new contract, announces leaving the club in January and is on the verge of returning to Finland.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2009). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2009–10. Mainstream Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84596-474-0.
- "Young Whites sign". Fulham Official Website. 19 February 2007. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Brown's breakthrough". Fulham Official Website. 24 January 2008. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Brown signs extension". Fulham Official Website. 1 February 2008. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Grimsby 1–2 Brentford". BBC Sport. 24 March 2008. Retrieved 14 September 2009.
- "Wayne Brown Loan". Fulham Official Website. 2 April 2009. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Brown loan extended". Fulham Official Website. 20 August 2009. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Wayne Brown palaa TPS-paitaan" (in Finnish). Veikkausliiga. 13 December 2012. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "TPS hired Brown" [TPS pestasi Brownin] (in Finish). MTV3. 12 December 2012. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "TPS will be forced to get rid of his players kovapalkkaisista" [TPS:n on pakko päästä eroon kovapalkkaisista pelaajistaan] (in Finnish). m.iltalehti. 16 January 2014. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Wayne Brown, after all, about to Turku" [Wayne Brown jäämässä sittenkin Turkuun] (in Finnish). Official Website of Veikkausliga. 27 February 2014. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Wayne Brown returned to Tepsin strength training" [Wayne Brown palasi Tepsin treenivahvuuteen] (in Finnish). TPS Television. 26 February 2014. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Bristol Bound". Fulham F.C. 1 February 2010. Archived from the original on 3 February 2010. Retrieved 31 December 2013.
- "Brown back with Fulham". Mirror Football. 15 March 2010. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Bristol Rovers sign Wayne Brown from Fulham". Bristol Post. 26 May 2010. Retrieved 31 December 2013.
- "Wayne Brown targets first-team spot with Bristol Rovers". BBC Sport. 1 July 2010. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Injury blow for Bristol Rovers duo Virgo and Brown". BBC Sport. 20 October 2011. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Brown close to Pirates return". Sky Sports. 28 December 2011. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Wayne Brown hoping to earn extended stay at Bristol Rovers". Bristol Post. 18 April 2012. Retrieved 31 December 2013.
- "Bristol Rovers capture deals for Oliver Norburn and Wayne Brown". BBC Sport. 4 July 2012. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Wayne Brown delighted to have a more central role at Bristol Rovers". Bristol Post. 29 August 2012. Retrieved 31 December 2013.
- "Curtis Good: Bradford City boss Phil Parkinson explains omission". BBC Sport. 26 November 2012. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Bristol Rovers midfielder Wayne Brown to leave in January". BBC Sport. 13 December 2012. Retrieved 5 February 2013.