Wayne Keon was born in 1946 in Pembroke, Ontario. His father, Orville Keon worked at Denison Mines in Elliot Lake, where Keon grew up. Although his father only had a 6th grade education, he was a skilled storyteller and presented the young Keon with a gift of the complete works of W. B. Yeats. Even since he was twelve years old, Keon wrote.
Keon earned a business administration degree from the Northern Institute of Technology in Kirkland Lake, Ontario in 1969. He has a background as a financial analyst. As of 2001[update] he worked for mining corporation Rio Algom and was able to travel extensively, including to South America. The company encouraged Keon's writing and gave their South American colleagues studying English copies of his books.
Keon has read his poetry in Canada, the United States, and throughout Europe. Currently, he lives in Richmond Hill, Ontario.
His work is characterized by his enigmatic and unique spelling, for instance, "nd" instead of "and."
- Keon, Wayne (1997). My Sweet Maize. Toronto, Ontario: Mercury Press. ISBN 978-1-55128-041-7.
- Keon, Wayne (1993). Storm Dancer. Toronto, Ontario: Mercury Press. ISBN 978-0-920544-97-6.
- Keon, Wayne (1990). Sweetgrass II. Toronto, Ontario: Mercury Press. ISBN 978-0-920544-78-5.
- THUNDERBIRDS OF THE OTTAWA, fictional account of a Canadian of native descent with a contemporary historical setting in the Ottawa Valley region. Co-authored by Wayne Keon and Orville Keon. Highway Bookshop, Cobalt, Ontario.
- SWEETGRASS, a modern anthology of Indian Poetry. Collection of poetry written by three members of the Keon family. Orville Keon and two sons Wayne Keon and Ronald Keon collaborated. WOK Books, Elliot Lake, Ontario.
- Live Ink. 2012. Chenelière Éducation, Montreal, PQ, Canada
- NWT Literacy. 2011. NWT Literacy Council Poetry Resource, Yellowknife, NWT, Canada
- Live Lines. 2010. Pearson Canada Inc., Don Mills, Ontario, Canada
- Composition and Indigenous Literature in Canada. 2009. Edited by Linda Stollings. Thompson Rivers University, Canada
- Canadian Native Literature in English: An Anthology. 2005 Third Edition. Canadian Indian poetry. Edited by Terry Goldie and Daniel David Moses, Oxford University Press, Canada.
- Without Reservation. 2003. Edited by Kateri Akiwenzie-Damm. Kegedonce Press, Canada
- Native Poetry in Canada. 2001. Edited by Lally Grauer, Jeannette Armstrong, Broadview Press, Canada .
- Poetry Nation. 1998. Edited by Regie Cabico and Todd Swift, Vehicle Press, Canada
- Canadian Native Literature in English: An Anthology. 1997 Second Edition. Canadian Indian poetry. Edited by Terry Goldie and Daniel David Moses, Oxford University Press, Canada.
- Uncommon Wealth: an Anthology of Poetry in English. 1997. Edited by Neil Besner, Deborah Schnizer and Alden Turner, Oxford University Press, Canada
- Images of Nature. 1995. Edited by David Booth, Kids Can Press, Canada
- Voices of the First Nations. 1995. McGraw Hill Ryerson, Toronto.
- Border Lines: Contemporary Poems in English. 1995. Edited by Dr. J.A. Wainwright, Copp, Clark, Canada
- Insights: Choices. 1994. Glen Kirkland & Rd Davies, Harcourt Brace & Company, San Diego.
- There Will Always Be A Sky. 1993. Edited by George Swede, Nelson Canada, Houghton Mifflin Company Nelson Canada, Canada.
- Canadian Native Literature in English: An Anthology. 1992. Canadian Indian poetry. Edited by Terry Goldie and Daniel David Moses, Oxford University Press, Canada.
- Native Writers and Canadian Writing. 1990. Edited by W. H. New, University of British Columbia Press, Canada.
- Different Masks. 1990. Edited by J. Alvin Speers, Aardvark Enterprises, Canada.
- Sacred Climaxes. 1990. Edited by Jiri Jirasek, Cosmic Trend, Canada.
- First People, First Voices. 1983. Edited by Penny Petrone, University of Toronto Press, Canada.
- Many Voices. 1977. Edited by David Day, Marilyn Bowering, J.J. Douglas Ltd, Canada
- Sweetgrass: An Anthology of Indian Poetry, 1972. Edited by Wayne Keon, Ronald Keon, and Orville Keon, Algoma Printing Service, Canada.
- ACTA VICTORIANA, Victoria University, Canada
- ANTIGONISH REVIEW, St. Francis Xavier University, Canada
- ARC, Carlton University, Canada
- ARIEL, University of Calgary, Canada
- BENEATH THE SURFACE, McMaster University, Canada
- BREAKTHRU, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- CANADIAN AUTHOR & BOOKMAN, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- CANADIAN DIMENSION, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
- CANADIAN FORUM, Canada
- CANADIAN LITERATURE, University of British Columbia, Canada
- CAROUSEL, University of Guelph, Canada
- CRONE PAPERS, Crossville Tennessee USA
- CROSS CANADA WRITER'S MAGAZINE, Stratford, Ontario, Canada
- DALHOUSIE REVIEW, Dalhousie University, Canada
- DANDELION, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- EXILE, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- FIDDLEHEAD, University of New Brunswick, Canada
- GATHERINGS, En'owkin Centre, Penticton, B.C., Canada
- GRAIN, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
- GREEN'S MAGAZINE, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
- THE JOURNAL, Saint Mary's University, Canada
- KANATA, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- LINES REVIEW, Loanhead, Midlothian, Scotland
- MAINLINE, Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- MALAHAT REVIEW, University of Victoria, Canada
- MOOSEHEAD ANTHOLOGY, Concordia University, Canada
- MUSELETTER, League of Canadian Poets, Canada
- NEWEST, Saskatchewan, Canada
- NEW QUARTERLY, University Of Waterloo, Canada
- NEXT EXIT, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- POETRY WLU, Wilfrid Laurier University, Canada
- THE PRAIRIE JOURNAL OF CANADIAN LITERATURE, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- PRISM INTERNATIONAL, University of British Columbia, Canada
- QUEEN'S QUARTERLY, Queen's University, Canada
- REVISTA, Universidad de Alicante, Spain
- THE STUMP, Malasapina College, Canada
- TABULA RASA, London, Ontario, Canada
- THE TORONTO SOUTH ASIAN REVIEW, Toronto, Canada
- TORONTO STAR, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- TOWER POETRY, Dundas, Ontario, Canada
- UC REVIEW, University of Toronto, Canada
- WAVES, York University, Canada
Musical performances of Wayne Keon’s work
- Storm Dances (1996). Featured in performance presenting 'Storm Dances' - selection of improvised music and poems from STORM DANCER. Performers William Beauvais, Julian Knight, Mhari Fyfe, Wednesday, June 1996 at Orillia, Ontario
- Storm Dances (1995). Featured in performance presenting 'Storm Dances' - selection of improvised music and poems from STORM DANCER. * performers William Beauvais, Julian Knight, Mhari Fyfe, Fall 1995 at Toronto, Ontario
- Storm Dances (1994). Featured in performance by Improv Cafe presenting 'Storm Dances' - selection of improvised music and poems from STORM DANCER. Performers William Beauvais, Julian Knight, Mhari Fyfe, Wednesday, March 16, 1994, at THE ART BAR, Matyas Cellar, 840 St. Clair Ave. W., Toronto, Ontario
- Three Impressions (1973). Musical arrangement commissioned for the Ontario Youth Choir, CBC taping Arrangement composed by Norma Beecroft, Poems from Sweetgrass, "shell," "fall," and "sundown."
- "Wayne Keon, 1946." Native American Authors. (retrieved 30 Dec 2009)
- Armstrong and Grauer, 84
- "Wayne Keon." The Mercury Press (retrieved 30 Dec 2009)
- Hartman, Christina."Tribal Literature." Essays and Information. (retrieved 30 Dec 2009)
- New, William H. Native Writers and Canadian Writing. Vancouver: UBC Press, 1990: 153-165. ISBN 0-7748-0371-1.
- Armstrong, Jeannette C. and Lalage Grauer. Native Poetry in Canada: A Contemporary Anthology. Peterborough, Ontario: Broadview Press, 2001. ISBN 978-1-55111-200-8.
- "Hold the One You Love", musical video