Wayne R. Dynes
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2011)|
|Wayne R. Dynes|
|Born||23 August 1934|
|Occupation||professor, historian, and encyclopedist|
Wayne R. Dynes (born August 23, 1934) is an American art historian, encyclopedist, and bibliographer. He is Professor Emeritus in the Art Department at Hunter College, where he taught from 1972 to 2005.
Dynes spent his early years in southern California, where he attended UCLA and received his B.A. in 1969. After extended sojourns in Italy and England, he settled permanently in Manhattan, New York City where he obtained his Ph.D. from the Institute of Fine Arts of New York University. The subject of his art-history dissertation was an eleventh-century illuminated Bible from Belgium. His training as a medievalist provided the basic core of his college teaching (first at Columbia, then at Hunter College).
During the 1960s Dynes was a member of the Mattachine Society of New York (MSNY). He was in Europe at the time of the Stonewall Uprising in Greenwich Village in June 1969. After returning in 1973 he collaborated with Jack Stafford, a librarian, to work on one many bibliographies of gay studies. This interest ultimately yielded his volume Homosexuality: A Research Guide (1987), followed by his work as editor-in-chief of the two-volume Encyclopedia of Homosexuality (Garland, 1990).
- ”Afterword,” in Jim Levin, Reflections on the American Homosexual Rights Movement. New York: Gay Academic Union, 1983, pp. 45–51.
- Encyclopedia of Homosexuality (editor-in-chief; associate editors: Stephen Donaldson, Warren Johansson, and William A. Percy). 2 vols. New York: Garland, 1990. (See now the electronic version at http://www2.hu-berlin.de/sexology/BIB/EOH/index.htm).
- Hieronymus Bosch and the Canticle of Isaiah (with Marshall Neal Myers). New York: Cabirion Press, 1987.
- Homolexis: A Historical and Cultural Lexicon of Homosexuality. New York: Gay Academic Union, 1985. Revised version at www.williamapercy.com/homolexis/index.php?title=Main_Page
- Homosexuality: A Research Guide, New York: Garland, 1987. (See now the electronic version at http://www2.hu-berlin.de/sexology/BIB/ResGde/main.htm)
- The Illuminations of the Stavelot Bible. New York: Garland, 1978.
- Palaces of Europe (Great Buildings of the World). London: Hamlyn, 1968.
- Dynes, Wayne (2008). "Sexuality". In Hamowy, Ronald. The Encyclopedia of Libertarianism. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE; Cato Institute. pp. 461–2. ISBN 978-1-4129-6580-4. LCCN 2008009151. OCLC 750831024.
- ”Wayne R. Dynes,” in Gay and Lesbian Literature. Gale: Detroit, 1994.
- "Wayne R. Dynes," lgtb-today.com
- Biography: Wayne R. Dynes, andrejkoymasky.com