Wayne County courthouse in Waynesboro
Location of Waynesboro, Mississippi
|• Total||6.7 sq mi (17.2 km2)|
|• Land||6.6 sq mi (17.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||190 ft (58 m)|
|• Density||781.6/sq mi (301.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0690942|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.7 square miles (17 km2), of which, 6.7 square miles (17 km2) of it is land and 0.15% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,197 people, 1,982 households, and 1,335 families residing in the city. The population density was 781.6 people per square mile (301.7/km²). There were 2,276 housing units at an average density of 342.3 per square mile (132.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 41.54% White, 57.28% African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.37% Asian, 0.25% from other races, and 0.35% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.94% of the population.
There were 1,982 households out of which 36.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 36.5% were married couples living together, 26.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.6% were non-families. 29.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the city the population was spread out with 29.5% under the age of 18, 10.9% from 18 to 24, 25.5% from 25 to 44, 20.1% from 45 to 64, and 14.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 82.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 73.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $22,357, and the median income for a family was $27,754. Males had a median income of $29,602 versus $16,887 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,946. About 31.1% of families and 32.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 43.1% of those under age 18 and 17.4% of those age 65 or over.
The City is served by the Wayne County School District.
- Three Major League Baseball players were born in Waynesboro...Claude Passeau (1909), Paul Busby (1918), and Jeff Branson (1967).
- Beauty queen Jalin Wood was born in Waynesboro. She won Miss Mississippi in 2004, then competed in the Miss America and Miss USA pageants.
- Spencer Johnson, American football defensive tackle
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.