|Motto: Progressing toward our future, through an understanding of our past|
|Named for||General Anthony Wayne|
|• Total||2.5 sq mi (6.4 km2)|
|• Land||2.5 sq mi (6.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||748 ft (228 m)|
|• Density||904.2/sq mi (349.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1326575|
Waynesboro is located at .(35.320546, -87.756984)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,228 people, 954 households, and 601 families residing in the city. The population density was 904.2 people per square mile (349.7/km²). There were 1,071 housing units at an average density of 434.7 per square mile (168.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.04% White, 1.39% African American, 0.22% Native American, 0.45% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 0.22% from other races, and 0.58% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.03% of the population.
There were 954 households out of which 27.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.1% were married couples living together, 13.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.0% were non-families. 35.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.21 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.1% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 25.9% from 25 to 44, 23.4% from 45 to 64, and 19.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 87.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 79.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,196, and the median income for a family was $33,917. Males had a median income of $27,263 versus $17,379 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,037. About 14.0% of families and 16.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.9% of those under age 18 and 15.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Tennessee Apparel
- Tennessee Container Services
- Mueller Gas Products
- Waynesboro Elementary School
- Waynesboro Middle School
- Wayne County High School
- Wayne County Technology Center
- Waynesboro official website. Retrieved: 1 March 2013.
- Bob Rains, "Wayne County," Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture. Retrieved: 1 March 2013.
- Tennessee Blue Book, 2005-2006, pp. 618-625.
- Nancy Capace, Encyclopedia of Tennessee (North American Book Distributors, 2000), p. 229.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.