Wayzata High School
|Wayzata High School|
Character and Scholarship for Life
|4955 Peony Lane
Plymouth, Minnesota, 55446
|School district||Wayzata School District|
|Athletics conference||Lake Conference|
|Rivals||Edina High School, Eden Prairie High School|
Wayzata High School (// wy-ZET-ə) is located in Plymouth, Minnesota, a western Minneapolis-St. Paul suburb. The high school, part of the Wayzata School District, has approximately 3400 students in grades 9 to 12 (2012), making it the largest secondary school by enrollment in Minnesota. It is also the largest Minnesota secondary school by structural size, with an interior of 487,000 square feet (45,200 m2). The school is part of the Lake Conference. Its current principal is Mike Trewick.
The first school in the Wayzata area was established around 1855. Classes were taught in homes until a one-room school was built near what is now the second green of the Wayzata Country Club. This school burned down for unknown reasons and a new school was constructed on what is now the main street of Wayzata.
What is now the West and Central middle schools have both once been the high school building. The West Middle School building served as the high school from 1951 to 1961. Central Middle School's campus was home to the high school from 1961 to 1997. The current Wayzata High School campus was completed in 1997 and opened for classes in the 1997-98 school year.
On February 25, 2014, voters approved referendums for a $109 million bond request to expand the high school and improve security and a technology levy. The district had previously considered building a second high school, but decided against this due to high estimated operating costs. Part of the provisions include the purchasing of adjacent land currently belonging to the Elm Creek Golf Course and the building of a new wing. When the project is complete, the building will be able to house 3,900 students. Construction is expected to begin in the fall 2014 and be complete in the fall of 2016.
As of the 2012-2013 school year, Wayzata High School offers 26 Advanced Placement (AP) classes and an Advanced Placement Pilot course in AP Accounting. In the 2012-13 school year, 841 students took at least one AP test and 89% of tests received a passing score.
Awards and recognition
Wayzata is part of the Lake Conference of the Minnesota State High School League and was part of the Classic Lake Conference realignment before the 2010-2011 athletic year. WHS currently sponsors 30 varsity sports teams.
|Season||Sport||Number of Championships||Year|
|Fall||Football||3||2005, 2008, 2010|
|Soccer, Boys||2||1985, 2005|
|Cross Country, Boys||7||1992, 1993, 2000, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2013|
|Cross Country, Girls||2||2012, 2013|
|Soccer, Girls||7||1991, 1996, 2000, 2002, 2009, 2011, 2012|
|Wrestling||4||1941, 1951, 1952, 1953|
|Dance Team||6||1993, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012|
|Skiing, Nordic Girls||3||1980, 2013, 2014|
|Spring||Golf, Boys||5||1994, 1998, 2009, 2010, 2011|
|Synchronized Swimming||7||2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013|
|Tennis, Boys||3||1993, 1999, 2013|
|Track and Field, Boys||5||1977, 1980, 1984, 1995, 2012|
|Track and Field, Girls||1||2007|
|Adapted Bowling||4||2006, 2007, 2008, 2009|
Clubs and activities
Wayzata High School has many student clubs and activities.
The 9th grade Knowledge Master Open team won the national spring KMO in the 9th grade division in 2009.
Notable people and alumni
- Amy Klobuchar, (1978), U.S. Senator (DFL) representing Minnesota
- David Gaither, former Minnesota State Senator, and former Governor Tim Pawlenty's Chief of Staff
- Betsy Hodges, current Mayor of Minneapolis
- Mike Muller (1991), 2nd round pick in 1990 NHL entry draft, former player for Minnesota Golden Gophers and Moscow Dynamo
- Marion Barber III (2001), former running back for the Minnesota Golden Gophers and retired NFL running back.
- Dominique Barber (2004), former safety for University of Minnesota, younger brother of Marion, drafted by Houston Texans, and is currently a free agent.
- François-Henri Désérable (2005), French author and professional ice hockey player
- Andrew Peterson (2003), former defender for the Columbus Crew
- Dick Beardsley (1974), marathon runner, 2nd place in 1982 Boston Marathon
- Ben Hamilton (1996), drafted by the Denver Broncos in 2001, signed with the Seattle Seahawks in 2010.
- Shawn Daivari (2002), professional wrestler
- James Laurinaitis (2005), Linebacker, Ohio State Buckeyes, 2006 Bronko Nagurski Trophy Winner, Drafted by St. Louis Rams
- Tim Herron (1988), professional golfer
- Steve Wright (1977), former NFL Lineman and contestant on Survivor: Redemption Island
- Mario Lucia (2012, transferred out), Notre Dame hockey forward and 2011 2nd round NHL draft pick by the Minnesota Wild.
Entertainment and music
- Charles Nolte (1941), American Broadway and film actor
- Benjamin Salisbury (1998), former child actor
- Kirsten Gronfield (1996), actress
- Kimberly Elise, (1985), actress (John Q, The Manchurian Candidate)
- David Bromstad (1992), interior designer and HGTV television show host
- "Guidance and Counseling / High School Profile".
- Wayzata High School Construction[dead link]
- "America’s Best High Schools 2012". The complete list of the 1,000 top U.S. schools. Newsweek. 2012.
- "District Facts and History". Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- McGuire, Kim. "Wayzata voters OK $109 million in school improvements". Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "Construction Update: Wayzata High School and Elementary School".
- "Wayzata High School -- Curriculum".
- "Test Results and Student Honors". Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Jason Jenkins (May 20, 2014). "WHS senior, Wayzata resident named U.S. Presidential Scholars". SunSailor. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- "National Merit Scholar Duligur Ibeling is Heading to Harvard". Lake Minnetonka Magazine. Tiger Oak Media. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- "Presidential Scholars 2011". presidentialscholar.net.
- "State Championships".
- "MNSHSL". Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- "Minus one shoe, Richfield's Ali runs to victory". StarTribune.
- NikeCrossNationals.com - Nike Cross Nationals Official Site - NXN - Results - 2013 NXN Results
- Wayzata High School course selection (2014-15 ed.).
- "Wayzata High School Tournament Results". NAQT.
- "Announcements for Tuesday, December 11, 2012".
- Amy Klobuchar reference[dead link]
- "Gaither, David C."
- Ben Hamilton reference
- Seattle Seahawks
- James Laurinaitis reference
- "Getting schooled by Lil' Lumpy"
- Mario Lucia Bio - UND.COM - University of Notre Dame Official Athletic Site
- Benjamin Salisbury
- Kirsten Gronfield - IMDb