|Look up wazir in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Wazir (Arabic: وزير) is an official title, meaning minister in several West and South Asian languages. Its equivalent in English is vizier. The style comes from the Arabic word wezr (وِزر), which means "burden". Thus, a wazir is literally someone who helps carry a burden, by helping the head of the state get the job done. It is also used as a family name.
This word was first mentioned in the Quran when Moses prayed to God to appoint Aaron as his WAZIR (helper in the religion in the cause of Allah). Later on this religious wazir (helper in religion) was used for the political wazir (helper in the running of a government) of a ruler.
Wazir may refer to:
- Vizier, vazir or wazir, a high-ranking official, such as the Chief Minister of Muslim regimes starting with the Abbasid Caliphate.
- A vezér is a Hungarian high-ranking official or leader; may originate from the verb "vezet" (‘to lead’).
- Wazir Khan (Lahore) (15th century), a physician
- Wazir Khan (Sirhind) (-1710), a governor
- Wazir Ali Khan (1780–1817), fourth nawab wazir of Oudh
- Wazir Akbar Khan (1816-1845), an Afghan prince
- Wazir Arsala Khan (19th century), an Afghan politician
- Wazir Ali (1903–1950), India Test cricketer
- Wazir Mohammad (born 1929), former Pakistani cricketer
- Khalid Wazir (born 1936), former Pakistani cricketer
- Khalil al-Wazir (1935–1988), assassinated Palestinian military leader and senior aide of Yasser Arafat
- Wazir (Bagram detainee, 2002), captured in 2002, had a writ of habeas corpus submitted on his behalf
- Abdullah Wazir (born 1979), Afghan Guantanamo detainee
- Sanam Sutirath Wazir (born 1989), Kashmiri Human rights activist.He is working with Amnesty International His documentary on plight of stateless people of West pakistan living in Jammu kashmir was featured in Australian film festival http://ausindfest.com.au/
- Wazir Akbar Khan (Kabul), a neighborhood in Kabul, Afghanistan
- Wazir, Nangarhar, a village in Khogyani District, Afghanistan
- Wazir (chess), a fairy chess piece that moves one space in an orthogonal direction
- Wazir (film), an upcoming Indian film
- Wazir (tribe), a Pashtun tribe in Waziristan
- Wazir (Khogyani)
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Wazir.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.