|Live album by Frank Zappa|
|Released||October 30, 2007|
|Recorded||Boston Music Hall,
September 24, 1972
|Length||51:35 (Disc 1)
44:30 (Disc 2)
|Frank Zappa chronology|
Wazoo is a live album by Frank Zappa, posthumously released on October 30, 2007.
It is a 2-CD set consisting of the complete concert given by "The Mothers of Invention/Hot Rats/Grand Wazoo" 20-piece big band on September 24, 1972 at the Music Hall, Boston, Massachusetts, United States.
It is the last concert of a brief series of shows that marked Zappa's return to the stage after his forced temporary retirement from the touring scene due to the injuries he suffered from an assault during a concert at the Rainbow Theater in London on December 10, 1971.
The material showcases Zappa's endeavors into jazz-based music, and many of the compositions were featured on the 1972 studio albums The Grand Wazoo and Waka/Jawaka and on the 1978 studio album Studio Tan. Rehearsals leading to these albums and concerts are documented on Joe's Domage (2004), while Imaginary Diseases (2006) presents live recordings with a stripped-down version of the big band named "Petite Wazoo."
All tracks written, composed and arranged by Frank Zappa. At the concert, "Big Swifty" was played between "The Adventures of Greggery Peccary" and "Penis Dimension".
|2.||"The Grand Wazoo (Think It Over)"||21:17|
|2.||"The Adventures of Greggery Peccary
|4.||"Variant I Processional March"||3:28|
The Mothers of Invention / Hot Rats / Grand Wazoo:
- Frank Zappa – guitar and white stick with cork handle
- Tony Duran – slide guitar
- Ian Underwood – piano and synthesizer
- Dave Parlato – bass
- Jerry Kessler – electric cello
- Jim Gordon – drums
- Mike Altshul – piccolo, bass clarinet and other winds
- Jay Migliori – flute, tenor sax and other winds
- Earl Dulmer – oboe, contrabass sarrusophone and other winds
- Ray Reed – clarinet, tenor sax and other winds
- Charles Owens – soprano sax, alto sax and other winds
- Joann McNab – basoon
- Malcolm McNab – trumpet in D
- Sal Marquez – trumpet in Bb
- Tom Malone – trumpet in Bb, also tuba
- Glenn Ferris – trombone and euphonium
- Kenny Shroyer – trombone and baritone horn
- Bruce Fowler – trombone of the upper atmosphere
- Tom Raney – vibes and electric percussion
- Ruth Underwood – marimba and electric percussion
- "allmusic ((( Wazoo! > Overview )))". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- "Frank Zappa: Zappa/Wazoo : Music Reviews : Rolling Stone". rollingstone.com. Retrieved 2009-11-27.