We're Not Married!
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011)|
|We're Not Married!|
Original film poster
|Directed by||Edmund Goulding|
|Produced by||Nunnally Johnson|
|Written by||Nunnally Johnson (screenplay)|
|Starring||See cast section|
|Edited by||Louis R. Loeffler|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Running time||86 minutes|
|Box office||$2 million (US rentals)|
We're Not Married! (1952) is an American romantic comedy film released by 20th Century Fox. The featured was directed by Edmund Goulding. The story is from Gina Kaus's and Jay Dratler's unpublished work "If I Could Remarry". The film starred Victor Moore, Ginger Rogers, Fred Allen, Marilyn Monroe, David Wayne, Eve Arden, Paul Douglas, Eddie Bracken, and Mitzi Gaynor. Co-stars included Louis Calhern, Zsa Zsa Gabor, James Gleason, Paul Stewart, and Jane Darwell.
When elderly Mr. Bush (Victor Moore) is appointed justice of the peace, he starts marrying couples on Christmas Eve. However, his appointment isn't valid until the first of January. Two years later, this issue becomes known when one of the six couples he married files divorce. To avoid a bigger scandal, the remaining five couples are informed that they are not really married. The film then shows how the couples react on the news:
- Couple #1: is Steve Gladwyn (Fred Allen) and Ramona (Ginger Rogers), a husband-and-wife radio team whose huggy-kissy behavior on the air conceals the fact that they'd dearly love to cut each other's throats.
- Couple #2: consists of stay at home father Jeff Norris (David Wayne) and his beauty contest spouse Annabel (Marilyn Monroe), who's just won the "Mrs. Mississippi" pageant.
- Couple #3: is Hector Woodruff (Paul Douglas) and Katie (Eve Arden), who ran out of things to say to each other long ago.
- Couple #4: is the kind millionaire Freddie Melrose (Louis Calhern) and his gold-digging young bride Eve (Zsa Zsa Gabor), who intends to divorce him and make off with his millions.
- Couple #5: is young GI Willie Fisher (Eddie Bracken), about to be shipped out and his pregnant wife Patsy (Mitzi Gaynor).
- Victor Moore as Melvin Bush, Justice of the Peace
- Ginger Rogers as Ramona Gladwyn
- Fred Allen as Steve Gladwyn
- Marilyn Monroe as Annabel Jones Norris
- David Wayne as Jeff Norris
- Eve Arden as Katie Woodruff
- Paul Douglas as Hector Woodruff
- Eddie Bracken as Willie Fisher
- Mitzi Gaynor as Patricia 'Patsy' Reynolds Fisher
- Louis Calhern as Freddie Melrose
- Zsa Zsa Gabor as Eve Melrose
- James Gleason as Duffy
- Paul Stewart as Attorney Stone
- Jane Darwell as Mrs. Bush
- Lee Marvin as Pinky
- Gloria Talbott as Girl in dream sequence
- Richard Buckley as the radio producer Mr. H.D. Graves
- 'Top Box-Office Hits of 1952', Variety, January 7, 1953
- "We're Not Married! (1952) - Notes". TCM.com. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "We're Not Married - Cast, Reviews, Summary, and Awards". AllMovie. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- We're Not Married! at the TCM Movie Database
- We're Not Married! at the Internet Movie Database
- We're Not Married! at AllMovie