We've Never Been Licked
|We've Never Been Licked|
|Directed by||John Rawlins|
|Produced by||Walter Wanger|
|Written by||Nick Grinde, Norman Reilly Raine|
Noah Beery, Jr.
|Cinematography||Milton R. Krasner|
|Running time||103 minutes|
We've Never Been Licked (1943) is a World War II propaganda film produced by Walter Wanger and released by United Artists. Parts of the movie were shot on location at the Texas A&M University campus. Released in the UK under the title, Texas to Tokyo; re-released in the US as Fighting Command.
Army brat Brad Craig enters A&M with a chip on his shoulder which upperclassmen quickly knock off. Once adjusted, Craig falls in love with a professor's beautiful daughter, only to find she is in love with his roommate. In the meantime, Craig unwittingly associates with Japanese spies (one played by William Frawley of I Love Lucy) bent on stealing a secret chemical compound developed in the A&M Chemistry Department. Craig is drummed out of the Corps for being a suspected accomplice to the spies, but he then bravely infiltrates the spy network to sabotage the Japanese war effort. Many A&M traditions are referenced in this film.
- Richard Quine as Brad Craig
- Anne Gwynne as Nina Lambert
- Noah Beery, Jr. as Cyanide Jenkins
- Martha O'Driscoll as Deede Dunham
- William Frawley as Traveling Salesman/Japanese Agent
- Edgar Barrier as Nishikawa
- Robert Mitchum as Panhandle Mitchell
- Bill Stern as Himself
- Mantan Moreland as Willie
- William Blees as Student
- Harry Davenport as Pop Lambert
- Alfredo DeSa as Fortuno Tavares
- Roland Got as Matsui
- Samuel S. Hinds as Col. Jason Craig
- Allen Jung as Kubo
- Malcolm 'Bud' McTaggart as Chip Goodwin
- Moroni Olsen as Commandant
- George Putnam as Army Hour Announcer
- Bruce Wong as Japanese Soldier
- Production Dates: mid-Nov 1942-early Feb 1943; addl scenes 30 Mar-31 Mar 1943
- The working title of this film was Texas Aggies.
The film earned a modest $283,724.
- Matthew Bernstein, Walter Wagner: Hollywood Independent, Minnesota Press, 2000 p441
- Emovieposter.com - Image Archive - TEXAS TO TOKYO ( Aust daybill)
- Martha O'Driscoll
- Paul Webster Biography - Yahoo! Movies
- We've Never Been Licked at the American Film Institute Catalog
- We've Never Been Licked at the Internet Movie Database