We Are Defiance
|We Are Defiance|
|Origin||Ocala, Florida, U.S.|
|Past members||Trevor Rizzo
We Are Defiance is an American metalcore band from Ocala, Florida. Founded in 2009 by former Sleeping with Sirens and Paddock Park singer Brian Calzini, the band released their debut album, Trust in Few (2011), in early 2011 on Tragic Hero. The album peaked at 28 on the Billboard Heatseekers chart.
Formation and beginning recordings (2009)
We Are Defiance was formed in 2009 by former Paddock Park vocalist Brian Calzini. On May 13, 2009, the band posted the track "It's a Long Drive Home from Texas" on their MySpace profile. It was announced to be part of the Let's Forget Regret (2009) EP, which was released on August 1. The EP was produced Tom Denney, formerly of band A Day to Remember. Following a slight line up change, the band released their first single, "To the Moon" on September 5, 2009 on iTunes.
Trust in Few (2010–2011)
We Are Defiance quickly gained a loyal fan base and announced to have inked a deal with Tragic Hero Records on May 1, 2010. The band started writing on new material for their debut album. The band released a cover "Airplanes", originally by B.o.B, on July 8; on the same say the band's then-untitled debut album was set for release "this fall". On November 29, We Are Defiance started their first tour through the U.S. The band played concerts in California, Florida, Arizona, Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, Nevada and Florida. On this tour, We Are Defiance toured together with I Am Ghost and label mates This Romantic Tragedy. On December 12, it was announced the band's debut album, Trust in Few (2011), was to be released on March 15, 2011.
At the beginning of 2011, the band went on the Change the World Tour touring through the U.S. together with Monsters, Legend and Dr. Acula. On that tour, the band had a van accident and singer Calzini was brought into the hospital and had to undergo surgery. The reason for that crash was freezing rain. Because of that crash the album's release was delayed until on March 29, 2011, instead of the planned March 15 date. Trust in Few was produced by Denney. Calzini announced that Tyler "Telle" Smith of The Word Alive and Danny Worsnop of Asking Alexandria would be featured on one song each, on the album, but Worsnop was pulled off from being featured on the record by his label. Fans were allowed to download this song at the band's campaign they started via Twitter called Tweet for a Track. The album peaked at 28 on the Billboards Heatseekers charts for one week.
The band then went on the I Heard It First Tour with Oh, Sleeper and Like Moths to Flames from March 29 to April 6. The band also played the 2011's SXSW together with Horse the Band, Letlive and For the Fallen Dreams as part of the Blood Company Showcase at the Emo's Annex in Austin, Texas. In May 2011, the band went on another U.S. tour with It Prevails. From June 29 to July 15, We Are Defiance went on the Metal East Tour, with bands Scarlett O'Hara and Casino Madrid. In December 2011 We Are Defiance headlined their first U.S. tour, Bring Your Scarf and Jacket Tour, with support from are My Ticket Home and Wolves Among Men; the tour lasted from December 9 to 18.
Live & Learn (2012–present)
The band released a new single in January 2012 on iTunes, entitled "Day Late, Doller Short". From February 9 to March 1, 2012, We Are Defiance started a tour through the U.S. with This Romantic Tragedy and The Last of Our Kind. The tour was named “New Year to Fear”. On May 29, 2012 guitarist Andi Encinas stated he was parting from We Are Defiance on Facebook. The band will meet together with Andrew Wade and Tom Denney to record the follow-up album entitled “Live & Learn”. We Are Defiance released a new music video for the song ‘I'm Gonna Bury You Underground Eli’.
In December 2012, vocalist Brian Calzini stated that the reason for the new album's delay was due to producer Tom Denney being in studio with fellow metalcore band A Day To Remember, whose record took longer than intended for production. Calzini also stated that the band had recently brought in Evolve Management to aid the band in its future.
In February 2013, We Are Defiance premiered a lyric video for their new single, "Hurricane You."
|2011||Trust in Few||Tragic Hero||28|
|2013||Live & Learn||Tragic Hero||—|
|"—" denotes a release that did not chart.|
- 2009: "It's a Long Drive Home from Texas" (Feat. Austin Carlile of Of Mice & Men)
- 2009: "To the Moon"
- 2011: "I'm Gonna Bury You Underground, Eli"
- 2013: "Hurricane You" (featuring Liz Loughrey)
- Current members
- Brian Calzini — vocals (2009–present)
- Dean Dragonas — rhythm guitar (2010–present); bass guitar (2009–2010)
- Rik Stevely — bass guitar (2010–present)
- Josh Gowing — drums, clean vocals (2011–present)
- Former members
- Andi Encinas — lead guitar (2009–2012)
- Jason Neil — clean vocals (2009–2011)
- Daniel Hendrix — drums, percussion (2009–2011)
- Trevor Rizzo — rhythm guitar (2009–2010)
- Pascarella, Tony (May 13, 2009). "We Are Defiance Post New Song - News Article". AbsolutePunk.net. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- Henderson, Steve (May 1, 2010). "We Are Tragic Hero - News Article". AbsolutePunk.net. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- Kohli, Rohan (July 8, 2010). "We Are Defiance Covers B.O.B. - News Article". AbsolutePunk.net. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- HIGHWIRE DAZE: To The Moon And Beyond Interview of June 28th, 2010
- Ilvonen, Keagan (December 18, 2010). "Trust We Are Defiance - News Article". AbsolutePunk.net. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- Tsai, Matthew (January 9, 2011). "We Are Defiance Run Into Trouble - News Article". AbsolutePunk.net. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- yassassin.com/news/we-are-defiance-involved-in-van-crash/ GUNS HY ASSASSIN: We Are Defiance involved in van crash
- SumeE: We Are Defiance (feat. Tom Denney and Kellin Quinn) - Airplanes Part 2 Video on YouTube
- TWEET FOR A TRACK: We Are Defiance - Airplanes part 2
- DiVincenzo, Alex (March 14, 2011). "Oh, Sleeper Let You Hear It First - News Article". AbsolutePunk.net. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- HIGHWIRE DAZE: We Are Defiance on the I Heard It First tour with Oh, Sleeper & Like Moth to Flames
- Tsai, Matthew (May 10, 2011). "The Metal East Tour - News Article". AbsolutePunk.net. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- Ketchum, Jameson (November 11, 2011). "TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT: WE ARE DEFIANCE | Substream Magazine | Substream Magazine". substreammusicpress.com. Archived from the original on April 26, 2012. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- DiVincenzo, Alex (January 26, 2012). "The New Year to Fear Tour - News Article". AbsolutePunk.net. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- highwiredaze.com: This Romantic Tragedy announces “The New Year To Fear” US Tour with We Are Defiance
- Denning, Jake. "We Are Defiance - 12.26.12". absolutepunk.net. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- Whitt, Cassie (February 14, 2013). "Lyric Video Premiere: We Are Defiance, "Hurricane You" - Alternative Press". Altpress.com. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- "We Are Defiance - Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved November 3, 2013.