|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
|Single by Pat Benatar|
|from the album Tropico|
|Released||October 25, 1984|
|Writer(s)||Eric Lowen & Dan Navarro|
|Pat Benatar singles chronology|
"We Belong" is a 1984 hit single from Pat Benatar's sixth studio album Tropico. It matched the success of "Love Is a Battlefield" on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in the U.S., peaking at #5. It reached #3 on Billboard's Top Rock Tracks chart and #34 on the Adult Contemporary.
It was also successful in the United Kingdom where it peaked number 22 in the charts, nearly matching the popularity of Love Is a Battlefield which is her most recognized song there. The song was written by songwriting team Lowen & Navarro. The song earned Benatar a Grammy nomination for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance alongside Linda Ronstadt, Tina Turner, Madonna, and Whitney Houston. It was awarded a Gold certification in Canada for sales of 5000 units.
- Lowen & Navarro recorded their own version of the song on their 1990 album Walking on a Wire.
- A Eurodance cover of the song was released by Double Dare.
- The song was covered by American artist Lynn Carey Saylor for her album You Like It Clean released in January 2007. It features "We Belong" songwriter Lowen & Navarro on backup vocals, as well as Queen guitarist Brian May. Eric Lowen, who is seen in the video singing throughout with Saylor, was suffering from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease). The singer wished to honor him by recording a cover of this song.
- A cover version by Arabella Harrison was used in a television ad campaign for Sheraton Hotels and Resorts. According to Harrison's Myspace page, there is no full-length cover of the song as she was only commissioned to record a 45-second version.
- A cover version by The Bangles is included on Keep The Light Alive: Celebrating The Music of Lowen & Navarro. The proceeds of the album benefit The Eric Lowen Trust, ALS Association Greater Los Angeles, and Augie's Quest.
- American folk musical duo Everly recorded a version that is included in the third volume of their B Track albums that have songs featured on the CW hit television series, One Tree Hill, as Bethany Joy Galeotti (one half of the duo) stars in it.
- The Vitamin String Quartet performed a cover version during the 100th episode of Gossip Girl, in which Blair Waldorf marries Prince Louis Grimaldi.
- Kat Robichaud performed this song in the 18th episode of the fifth series of The Voice U.S. in 2013.
Appearances in pop culture
- It is one of several songs sung by Lisa Hartman in her role as musician Cathy Geary on the 1980s American TV series Knots Landing.
- The song was featured in the closing credits of the February 7, 1985 episode of hit UK music programme Top Of The Pops.
- The song was featured in one of the final scenes of the Will Ferrell comedy film Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.
- It was the musical theme to a multi-million dollar marketing campaign for the Sheraton Hotel & Resort company in 2006.
- It is the name of one of the episodes of the hit teen drama series Instant Star
- It appeared as one of the last songs in the musical Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.
- The song is featured in the 2006 video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, appearing on the in-game radio station Emotion 98.3.
- It was covered by Bethany Joy Lenz as Haley James-Scott on One Tree Hill in the episode "Weeks Go By Like Days"
- It was covered by Kristen Alderson as Starr Manning and others on One Life to Live in a musical episode of the soap.
- The song was sung in a 2003 Saturday Night Live opening skit, as members of the cast claimed to be a Pat Benatar cover band and sang to Salma Hayek.
- The song was featured in the 2010 film Blue Valentine, starring Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams.
- It was made available to download on February 22, 2011 for use in the Rock Band 3 music gaming platform in both Basic rhythm, and PRO mode which utilizes real guitar / bass guitar, and MIDI compatible electronic drum kits / keyboards in addition to vocals.
- "Gossip Girl Music - Season 5, Episode 13". The CW. January 2012. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- Marsi, Steve (January 31, 2012 10). "Gossip Girl Music From "G.G."". TV Fanatic. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- Eckstein, David (January 25, 2012). "'Gossip Girl' EP: We've been 'planning Blair's wedding since the pilot'". Zap2it. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- "5 Things You Didn’t Know: Pat Benatar’s “We Belong”". WCBS-FM. January 31, 2013. Retrieved April 15, 2013.
- Lynn Carey Saylor video of "We Belong"
- C.R.I.A. singles certifications for Pat Benatar
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics