We Demand a Referendum Now
|We Demand a Referendum Now|
|European Parliament group||None|
|House of Commons|
|House of Lords|
|Politics of the United Kingdom
We Demand a Referendum Now (WDARN) is a British political party launched by Nikki Sinclaire in June 2012 following her departure from the UK Independence Party. It is a politically neutral single-issue party that seeks to force a referendum on British membership of the European Union (EU).
According to an article in The Sun, a YouGov poll found roughly a third of British adults said they would vote for this party, although the party has not featured in regular polling. It has garnered supporters such as former UKIP leader Roger Knapman and reality television contestant Katie Hopkins.
The party had a full slate of candidates, headed by Sinclaire, in her West Midlands European Parliament constituency for the 2014 European Parliament elections, the party's first electoral test. This was less than their announced plans to stand candidates in every British region. The party failed to retain or to win any seats.
We Demand a Referendum aims to "go beyond party politics" and "do everything within [its] power to enable a referendum". Its leadership has accused the EU of being protectionist and called for the creation of a Royal Commission to look into the costs and benefits of EU membership for the United Kingdom.
- Richards, S. (September 20, 2012). "Is it time for UKIP to make way for a new Eurosceptic party?". Daily Mail. Retrieved September 24, 2012.
You can tell when it's UKIP Conference time, because Nikki Sinclaire, the former UKIP MEP, can always be relied upon to pull a stunt to try to steal the limelight from her old party. This time, she's set up her own party, the "We Demand A Referendum Now Party".
- Wooding, D. (September 16, 2012). "EU vote party takes on Cameron". theSun.co.uk. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- "Nikki Sinclaire's We Demand a Referendum party holds first conference". This is Staffordshire. October 6, 2012. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- "New EU referendum party holding first conference". British Broadcasting Corporation. October 5, 2012. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- Sinclaire, N. (September 18, 2012). "New anti-EU political party launches in UK". Public Service Europe. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- Nikki Sinclaire discusses We Demand A Referendum on BBC Radio Lincolnshire
|This article about a political party in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|