We Got Married
|We Got Married|
We Got Married logo
|Opening theme||Season 1 : "Only You" by Kim Jong Wook
Season 2 :
|Ending theme||Season 1 : "100% Romantic" by Min Sul|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of seasons||4|
|Executive producer(s)||Im Jeong-ah|
|Original run||16 March 2008– present|
|Related shows||Hello Baby
|Revised Romanization||Uri Gyeolhon Haesseoyo|
|McCune–Reischauer||Uri Kyŏlhon Haessŏyo|
We Got Married (Hangul: 우리 결혼했어요) is a South Korean reality variety show, one segment of the Sunday Sunday Night program. First broadcast in 2008, the show pairs up Korean celebrities to show what life would be like if they were married. Each week, couples have assigned missions to complete, with candid interviews of the participants to reveal their thoughts and feelings.
2008 Lunar New Year Special
This special pilot episode aired on February 6, 2008. The four arranged couples must prepare dinner with a fixed amount of money.
With a new format and slightly different couples, newlyweds are given a mission to complete each week. As during the special pilot episode, interviewed participants provide a unique perspective on the ongoing relationship conflicts and developments. All of the recorded material is then played in front of the participants, MCs, and audience who add commentary or clarification.
Beginning with a Lunar New Year's Special in 2009 with three new couples, a new format is introduced into the show, first forecasted through the addition of Kangin and Lee Yoon-ji. Each couple is given a concept to portray; in Kangin and Lee Yoon-ji's case, a college couple living with a limited income.
- Original couples
- Alex & Shin Ae (Ep 1-8, 13-34)
- Crown J & Seo In-young (Ep 1-41)
- Andy & Solbi (Ep 1-28)
- Jeong Hyeong-don & Saori (Ep 1-8)
- Additional couples
- Lee Hwi-jae & Jo Yeo-jeong (Ep 9-17)
- Kim Hyun-joong & Hwangbo (Ep 9-38)
- Hwanhee & Hwayobi (Ep 25, 29-44)
- Marco & Son Dam-bi (Ep 25, 29-44)
- Choi Jin-young & Lee Hyun-ji (Ep 25)
- Kangin & Lee Yoon-ji (Ep 39-55)
- Jeong Hyeong-don & Kim Taeyeon (Ep 42-54)
- Shin Sung-rok & Kim Shin-young (Ep 42, 45-54)
- Jun Jin & Lee Si-young (Ep 42, 45-55)
As of May 2009, the producers announced another change in the format with all four couples departing, cutting down to just one couple and shortening the show to just 60 minutes. The show will now portray a more realistic side to what a marriage is, instead of "the painted image of marriage based on romance". For the first time, a real couple is cast in the show. Guest celebrities are invited to be show's commentators for each episode so that they can share their opinions on marriage on behalf of their age group. Kim Yong Jun and Hwang Jung-eum also do the interview room together dressed in wedding attire.
However, due to low ratings, the show returned to its old format with the addition of a make-believe couple actor Park Jae-jung and After School member Uee on August 2, 2009. For the Chuseok special, Brown Eyed Girls' Gain & 2AM's Jo Kwon and SG Wannabe's Lee Seok-hun & host Kim Na-young appeared as two new couples. The episode achieved Season II's highest rating, and Gain and Jo Kwon were announced to be a permanent couple.
- Original couple
- Additional couples
- Park Jae-jung & Uee (Ep 12-31)
- Jo Kwon & Gain (Ep 21-80)
- Lee Seok-hun & Kim Na-young (Ep 21)
- Lee Sun-ho & Hwang Woo-seul-hye (ep 32-42)
- Jung Yong-hwa & Seohyun (ep 40-91)
- Nichkhun & Victoria (ep 52-91)
Season three officially begins on April 9, with two additional couples upon the departure of Yonghwa & Seohyun, as well as a new format. Park Hwi-sun and K.Will are added for Season III to the cast as MCs.
- Original couples
- Additional couples
- Original couples
- Julien Kang & Yoon Se-ah (Ep 1-27)
- Hwang Kwanghee & Han Sunhwa (Ep 2-34)
- Lee Joon & Oh Yeon-seo (Ep 3-23)
- Jinwoon & Ko Joon-hee (Ep 24-54)
- Jo Jung-chi & Jung-in (Ep 28-54)
- Lee Taemin & Son Na-eun (Ep 35-71)
- Yoon Han & Lee So-yeon (Ep 55-81)
- Jung Joon-young & Jeong Yu-mi (Ep 55-89)
- Jang Wooyoung & Park Se-young (Ep 72-106)
- Namgoong Min & Hong Jin-young (Ep 82-131)
- Hong Jong-hyun & Kim Yura (Ep 91-131)
- Song Jae-rim & Kim So-eun (Ep 107-)
- Henry Lau & Ye-won (Ep 132-)
- Lee Jong-hyun & Gong Seung-yeon (Ep 132-)
In late March 2010, MBC stopped broadcast of new episodes due to labour strikes, with repeats airing instead. This event, compounded with the ROKS Cheonan sinking incident, which caused cancellation of most variety shows at the time, resulted in a backlog of footage for the couples Jo Kwon & Gain and Yonghwa & Seohyun. This resulted in the contents of their latest episodes being of footage recorded some months previously, rather than the normal 1–2 weeks of the original.
During Lee Joon & Oh Yeon-seo's season 4 tenure (broadcasting from September 2012 through February 2013), Oh Yeon-seo was observed meeting in public with Lee Jang-woo, her male co-star from the drama series, Here Comes Mr. Oh. When pictures and videos were released in January 2013, media and WGM fans surmised Oh Yeon-seo and Lee Jang-woo, formerly of WGM (Season 3), were in a romantic relationship. Because Oh Yeon-seo and Lee Joon were in the midst of filming WGM at the time this news was released, the integrity of their virtual marriage was questioned by fans. The negative reaction was further exacerbated by Oh Yeon-seo's multiple declarations of romantic interest in Lee Joon (e.g. as her "ideal type" and wanting to meet with him outside of filming). This backlash and perceived broken trust resulted in fans voicing their desire for Oh Yeon-Seo to exit WGM. Shortly after the rumors of Oh Yeon-seo and Lee Jang-woo's relationship surfaced, Lee Joon publicly expressed his frustration about not having his voice heard, with online fans suggesting it was due to his overbearing workload and/or Oh Yeon-seo's alleged relationship with Lee Jang-woo. A few weeks later, Lee Joon and Oh Yeon-seo ended their tenure on WGM.
MBC aired a new show based on We Got Married. The emphasis of the show was described as a shift from married life to the dating period. The head producer of Pit-a-Pat Shake was the original producer of We Got Married, when couples such as Seo In-young & Crown J and Shin Ae & Alex aired. The success of the earliest and most memorable couples gave people high hopes for the pilot. A Lunar Year Special was filmed and aired as the pilot episode.
The female idols in the spin-off Pit-a-Pat Shake were KARA's Seungyeon, After School's Lizzy, SISTAR's Hyorin, and SECRET's Sunhwa. Super Junior's Sungmin was partnered with Hyorin. MBLAQ's Lee Joon was paired with Lizzy, actor Lee Tae Sung with Seungyeon and ZE:A's Hwang Kwanghee with Sunhwa.
The Chinese version of We Got Married paired Korean and Chinese celebrities. Two out of three pairings were international: T-ara's Hyomin and Super Junior's Kyuhyun. It was produced by MBC to commemorate the twentieth anniversary of South Korea’s diplomatic ties with China. It aired as a Valentine's Day special in China on an entertainment channel of Shanghai Media Group and on MBC on 25 February but with only the Korean segments.
A global edition spinoff of the widely popular We Got Married, get to see how the on-screen virtual marriage between idol celebrities from different countries work out through weekly missions and candid interviews. Couples are paired from Korea, Japan and Taiwan.
- Kim Hyun-joong and Hwangbo won Best Couple Award at the 2009 MBC Entertainment Awards.
- Jo Kwon and Gain won Best Couple Award and Best Newcomer in Variety at the 2010 MBC Entertainment Awards.
- Yonghwa and Seohyun, and Nichkhun and Victoria both won the Popularity Award at the 2010 MBC Entertainment Awards.
- Kang So-ra and Leeteuk won the Popularity Award at the 2012 MBC Entertainment Awards.
- Song Jae-rim and Kim So-eun won the Best Couple Award at the 2014 MBC Entertainment Awards
- "한국일보: PD가 말하는 '우리 결혼했어요'의 진실 혹은 거짓" Hankooki News. 9 July 2009. Retrieved 2012-05-01 (Korean)
- "New stars join ‘We Got Married’ show". Korea JoongAng Daily. 3 January 2014.
- "Hong Jin Young and Nam Goong Min meet for the first time on 'We Got Married'". allkpop. 22 March 2014.
- "‘우결’ 조권 가인, MBC 파업 중 발리行 가능했던 이유? (We Got Married continues to Bali, Indonesia despite Labor Strike)" Nate News. 11 May 2011. Retrieved 2012-05-01 (Korean)
- MBC, 설특집 ‘우결’ 스핀오프 제작…연애판 '우결' 나온다 (We Got Married Spin-Off)" Naver News. 3 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-01 (Korean)
- 한승연·리지·효린·한선화, 우결 연애판 두근두근'출연 [Lizzy, Sunhwa, Hyorin, and Seungyeon confirmed for We Got Married spin-off]. Naver News (in Korean). 6 January 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "우결 스핀오프 두근두근 흔들려 성민-효린 국립극장 촬영 완료 (Hyorin's Pit-a-pat Shake partner revealed to be Super Junior's Sungmin)" Nate News. 6 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-29 (Korean)
- Kil, Hye Sung (15 February 2012). "Chinese version of WGM, which stars T-ara’s Hyomin and Super Junior’s Kyuhyun, airs in Korea". Star News. Retrieved 1 May 2012.