We Got Married
|We Got Married|
We Got Married logo
|Opening theme||Season 1 : "Only You" by Kim Jong Wook
Season 2 :
|Ending theme||Season 1 : "100% Romantic" by Min Sul|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of seasons||4|
|Executive producer(s)||Im Jeong Ah|
|Producer(s)||Jeon Seong Ho|
|Original run||16 March 2008– present|
|Related shows||Hello Baby
|Revised Romanization||Uri Gyeolhon Haesseoyo|
|McCune–Reischauer||Uri Kyŏlhon Haessŏyo|
We Got Married (Hangul: 우리 결혼했어요) is a South Korean reality variety show, one segment of the Sunday Sunday Night program. First broadcast in 2008, the show pairs up Korean celebrities to show what life would be like if they were married. Each week, couples are assigned missions to complete, with candid interviews of the participants to reveal their thoughts and feelings.
- 1 The Hosts
- 2 2008 Lunar New Year Special
- 3 Season 1
- 4 Season 2
- 5 Season 3
- 6 Season 4
- 7 Controversies
- 8 Spin-Off
- 9 Awards
- 10 Affiliated works
- 11 Dubbed couple names
- 12 References
- 13 External links
The pilot episode that aired as a special on New Year's Day was hosted by Lee Hyuk-jae, Hyun Young and Oh Sang Jin. The first season, only Hyuk-jae remains as an original host. He was joined by Kim Won Hee, and Lee Hwi Jae for the first 8 episodes until Hwi Jae replaced Jung Hyung Don as one of the grooms in episode 9. Won Hee later left to film a movie after episode 12, and Park Myung Soo was then introduced as host in episode 13. After episode 17, Hwi Jae resumed his position as MC, and the latest addition of Kang Soo Jung, now the only female, brings a total of 5 hosts. Lee Hwi Jae officially left the show after Episode 30 in order to make time for other programs. In preparation for its new format in addition to budget cuts, the MCs and live studio recordings were officially dropped after Episode 36.
In Season II, the series consisted of three permanent hosts Park Mi-Sun, Jo Hyung Gi and Kim Na Young, and guest commentators from different age groups appearing every few weeks. The studio was replaced by a smaller room with no live audience where the progress of the marriages is discussed. As of episode 78, host Jo Hyung Gi no longer appears on the show. In Episode 80 and 81 where the husbands and wives were separated into two groups, the couples watched the footage along with the hosts in the studio. From episode 100 and above, Seulong and Jinwoon of 2AM become regular commentators along with Park Mi Sun, Kim Jung Min, and Kim Na Young.
2013, The Hosts are Park Mi Sun, Kim Jung Min, Lee Ji Hye and Danny Ahn.
2008 Lunar New Year Special
This special pilot episode aired on February 6, 2008. The four arranged couples must prepare dinner with a fixed amount of money.
With a new format and slightly different couples, newlyweds are given a mission to complete each week. As during the special pilot episode, interviewed participants provide a unique perspective on the ongoing relationship conflicts and developments. All of the recorded material is then played in front of the participants, MCs, and audience who add commentary or clarification.
Beginning with a Lunar New Year's Special in 2009 with three new couples, a new format is introduced into the show, first forecasted through the addition of Kangin and Lee Yoon Ji. Each couple is given a concept to portray; in Kangin and Lee Yoon Ji's case, a college couple living with a limited income. The show now consists of more special effects and editing in order to show each couple in a set atmosphere and theme.
- Original couples
- Alex & Shin Ae (Ep 1-8, 13-34)
- Crown J & Seo In Young (Ep 1-41)
- Andy & Solbi (Ep 1-28)
- Jung Hyung Don & Saori (Ep 1-8)
- Additional couples
- Lee Hwi Jae & Jo Yeo Jeong (Ep 9-17)
- Kim Hyun Joong & Hwangbo (Ep 9-38)
- Hwanhee & Hwayobi (Ep 25, 29-44)
- Marco & Son Dam Bi (Ep 25, 29-44)
- Choi Jin Young & Lee Hyun Ji (Ep 25)
- Kangin & Lee Yoon Ji (Ep 39-55)
- Jeong Hyeong-don & Kim Taeyeon (Ep 42-54)
- Shin Sung Rok & Kim Shin Young (Ep 42, 45-54)
- Jun Jin & Lee Si Young (Ep 42, 45-55)
As of May 2009, the producers announced another change in the format with all four couples departing, cutting down to just one couple and shortening the show to just 60 minutes. The show will now portray a more realistic side to what a marriage is, instead of "the painted image of marriage based on romance". For the first time, a real couple is cast in the show. Guest celebrities are invited to be show's commentators for each episode so that they can share their opinions on marriage on behalf of their age group. Kim Yong Jun and Hwang Jung Eum also do the interview room together dressed in wedding attire.
However, due to low ratings, the show returned to its old format with the addition of a make-believe couple actor Park Jae Jung and After School member Uee on August 2, 2009. For the Chuseok special, Brown Eyed Girls' Gain & 2AM's Jo Kwon and SG Wannabe's Lee Seok Hun & host Kim Na Young appeared as two new couples. The episode achieved Season II's highest rating, and Gain and Jo Kwon were announced to be a permanent couple.
- Original couple
- Additional couples
- Park Jae Jung & Uee (Ep 12-31)
- Jo Kwon & Gain (Ep 21-80)
- Lee Seok Hun & Kim Na Young (Ep 21)
- Lee Sun Ho & Hwangwoo Seul Hye (ep 32-42)
- Jung Yong Hwa & Seohyun (ep 40-91)
- Nichkhun & Victoria (ep 52-91)
Season three officially begins on April 9, with two additional couples upon the departure of Yonghwa & Seohyun, as well as a new format. Park Hwi Sun and K.will are added for Season III to the cast as MCs.
- Original couples
- Additional couples
- Original couples
- Julien Kang & Yoon Se-ah (Ep 1-27)
- Hwang Kwang Hee & Han Sunhwa (Ep 2-34)
- Lee Joon & Oh Yeon Seo (Ep 3-23)
- Jinwoon & Ko Joon-Hee (Ep 24-54)
- Jo Jung Chi & Jung In (Ep 28-54)
- Lee Taemin & Son Na-eun (Ep 35- )
- Yoon Han & Lee So-yeon (Ep 55- )
- Jung Joon-young & Jeong Yu-mi (Ep 55- )
Lee Si Young joined the cast of MBC variety reality show We Got Married where she is paired up with Jun Jin of Shinhwa. As of June 2009, they have become the first couple to officially have a real relationship outside the show. However, they broke up after a 6 month relationship.
In late March 2010, MBC stopped broadcast of new episodes due to labour strikes, with repeats airing instead. This event, compounded with the ROKS Cheonan sinking incident, which caused cancellation of most variety shows at the time, resulted in backlogged of recordings for Jo Kwon & Gain and Yonghwa & Seohyun couple. With the contents of their latest episodes which were recorded from a few months previously, instead of regular 1–2 weeks from the original.
During Lee Joon & Oh Yeon Seo's season 4 tenure (broadcasting from September 2012 through February 2013), Yeon Seo was observed meeting in public with Lee Jang Woo, her male co-star from the drama series, "Oh Ja Ryong is Coming". When pictures and videos were released in January 2013, media and WGM fans surmised Yeon Seo and Jang Woo, formerly of WGM (Season 3), were in a romantic relationship. Because Yeon Seo and Lee Joon were in the midst of filming WGM at the time this news was released, the integrity of their virtual marriage was questioned by fans. The negative reaction was further exacerbated by Yeon Seo's multiple declarations of romantic interest in Lee Joon (e.g. as her "ideal type" and wanting to meet with him outside of filming). This backlash and perceived broken trust resulted in fans voicing their desire for Yeon Seo to exit WGM. Shortly after the rumors of Yeon Seo and Jang Woo's relationship surfaced, Lee Joon publicly expressed his frustration about not having his voice heard, with online fans suggesting it was due to his overbearing workload and/or Yeon Seo's alleged relationship with Jang Woo. A few weeks later, Lee Joon and Yeon Seo ended their tenure on WGM.
MBC has announced a new show to be based off We Got Married. The emphasis of the show is not on married life but rather dating life. The producer taking charge is the original producer of We Got Married, circa couples Seo In Young and Crown J, and Shin Ae and Alex. The success of the earliest and most memorable couples has given people high hopes for the pilot. A Lunar Year Special will be done as pilot.
The female idols to be in the spin-off, now revealed to be called Pit-a-Pat Shake, are KARA's Seungyeon, After School's Lizzy, SISTAR's Hyorin, and SECRET's Sunhwa. Super Junior's Sungmin, is to be partnered with Hyorin. MBLAQ's Lee Joon was confirmed as Lizzy partner. Actor Lee Tae Sung will pair up with Kara's Han SeungYeon.
The Chinese version of We Got Married paired Korean and Chinese celebrities. Two out of three pairings were interracial: T-ara's Hyomin and Super Junior's Kyuhyun. It was produced by MBC to commemorate the twentieth anniversary of South Korea’s diplomatic ties with China. It aired as a Valentine's Day special in China on an entertainment channel of Shanghai Media Group and on MBC on 25 February but with only the Korean segments.
A global edition spinoff of the widely popular ‘We Got Married’, get to see how the on-screen virtual marriage between idol celebrities from different countries work out through weekly missions and candid interviews. Couples are paired from Korea, Japan and Taiwan.
- Kim Hyun Joong and Hwang Bo won MBC's Best Couple Award on 29 December 2008.
- Jo Kwon and Gain won 'Best Couple Award' and 'Rookies Variety Award' for their roles in We Got Married for MBC Entertainment Awards 2010.
- Yonghwa & Seohyun and Nichkhun & Victoria couple both won 'Popularity Award' for MBC Entertainment Awards 2010.
- Kang Sora and Leeteuk won the "Popularity Award" for 2012.
- Alex's rendition of Loveholic's "화분" ("Flowerpot") was released as a digital single on May 6, 2008 and was included on his solo album.
- Aside from "Too Much", Crown J also featured in "I Like That" on Seo In Young's album. He made a cameo appearance in Jewelry's "모두 다 쉿!" ("Everyone, Shh!") MV.
- Lee Si Young featured on Jun Jin's 2nd solo album "Fascination" in the track "바보처럼" ("Like A Fool"). She starred in his "Hey Ya!" MV and its sequel "지지리" ("Awfully") by Beige.
- Kim Yong Jun released a song "커플 (Couple)" featuring Hwang Jung Eum in June 2009.
- Jo Kwon and Gain released a duet titled "우리 사랑하게 됐어요 (We Fell in Love)" on December 16, 2009.
- Jo Kwon released "고백하던 날 (The Day I Confessed)", which was partially composed during broadcast, on June 30, 2010.
- On August 29, 2010, Yonghwa and Seohyun performed a medley of Run Devil Run and Love Light on Incheon Korean Music Wave 2010.
- Nichkhun & Victoria performed a dance stage for MBC Gayo Daejun 2010.
- Yonghwa & Seohyun uploaded their song Banmal Song on YouTube on 26 December 2010.
- Yonghwa & Seohyun performed For First Time Lovers as a duet on "K-POP All Star Live in Niigata" in Niigata, Japan on August 20, 2011.
- Jang Woo & Eunjung was featured in Zia's MV The Way I Am, and was released on September 29, 2011.
- Adam, Khuntoria, WooJung, and Dimples couples were MC at 2011 MBC Music Festival (or 2011 MBC Gayo Daejun Festival) on December 31, 2011.
- Taecyeon & Gui Gui composed "Global We Got Married" first logo song, "I Love You Forever" and was released on June 14, 2013.
Dubbed couple names
Apart from the abbreviated names given by the fans, a few of the couples earned unique nicknames that were officially used in the show.
- Alex & Shin Ae
- 로맨틱커플 (Romantic couple) - Alex's romantic events and antics made them the first of the couples to become vastly popular, even prompting their return to the show (the only couple to do so).
- Andy & Solbi
- AnSol (young couple) - Due to their age, they were known as young couple. They were also the first to leave the show due to other work.
- Crown J & In Young
- 개미커플 (Ant couple) - MC Kim Won Hee remarked in one of the earlier episodes of Crown J's resemblance to an ant because of his skinhead haircut.
- A! couple - Crown J's famous inverted upside down 'peace' sign and his exclamation of "A!" in their theme song Too Much.
- Hyun Joong & Hwang Bo
- 쌍추커플 (Lettuce couple) - Hyun Joong's continuous mispronunciation of 'lettuce' (Sshangchu 쌍추 instead of Sangchu 상추) on their honeymoon in Jeju island and throughout the series.
- 운동부부 ("Exercise couple") - From Crown J & In Young in the Ant Tour episode
- 내기부부 ("Betting couple") - The two's constant bets and love for winning (승부욕)
Hwan Hee & Hwa Yobi:
- 개똥부부 (Dog Poopie couple) - At the beach, Hwayobi steps on sand and insists that it was dog poop. An amused Hwanhee dubs her 'Dog Poopie' as a term of endearment.
- Marco & Dam Bi
- Killer couple - Due to Marco's limited Korean, in the first few episodes he repeatedly uses "killer!" to praise Dam Bi.
- Kang-In & Yoon Ji
- 도토리묵부부 (Acorn Jelly couple) - After their first meeting while passing the Han River, Yoonji remarks how she has always thought the waves remind her of acorn jelly. Kangin says he has always thought the same, much to her disbelief. It is later revealed in a radio interview recorded before they met that he was telling the truth.
- Hyung Don & TaeYeon
- 젤리푸딩커플 (Jelly Pudding couple) - Named due to Hyungdon's nickname "Pudding" and Taeyeon's liking for jelly confectionery (usually jelly worms).
- Jun Jin & Si Young
- 건담 커플 (Gundam couple) - Si Young's favourite toy and television series that she enthusiastically collects and talks about, much to Jun Jin's disinterest.
- Park Jae Jung & UEE
- 캐러멜부부 (Caramel couple) - Dubbed after Jaejung gives Uee a caramel candy at their first meeting.
- 아담부부 (Adam couple) - Dubbed by Jinwoon and Seulong, initially as "Adam-Eve couple" due to their mutual relationship inexperience, but changed to * "Adam-Adam couple" due to their small appearances ("Adam" is pronounced the same as the Korean term for "little/small").
- 몸집이 작은 부부 ("Petite Couple") - Dubbed because they are small of their heights ("Petite" is another word of "small")
- 용서커플 (YongSeo Couple) - Named by MC's and fans by using the first letters of their names, meaning "forgiveness" because of the intense disapproval after they were announced to be the newest couple.
- 고구마부부 (Goguma Couple) - Dubbed when Seohyun was to rate the husband by either saying sweet potato (because of her fondness for sweet potatoes) or hamburger (because she finds hamburgers unhealthy).
- 삼겹살커플 (Samgyeopsal couple) - Named after Nichkhun finding Victoria, where he had to ask what her favorite food was, which was samgyeopsal.
- 쿤토리아 (Khuntoria) - Acknowledged by Nichkhun and Victoria as their official Korean couple name.
- 维尼夫妇 (Winnie Couple) - Acknowledged by both as their official Chinese couple name.
- ("International Couple") - Because they hail from different countries, Nichkhun from Thailand and Victoria from China.
- 손없는부부 ("No-Hands Couple") - Because they are often seen performing tasks for each other from eating to washing hands.
- 우정 커플 (WooJung Couple) - Named by MCs and fans by combining the first/last letters of their names respectively, meaning "friendship" due to their friendly nature.
- 캐임붓 커플 (Campus Couple) - Named according to the same college they are attending currently.
- ("Pepero Couple") - Named after the many pepero kiss attempts.
- ("Medical Pad Couple") - Named in their episode 27 where they put medical pads on each other after a long day of shooting.
Kim Won Joon & Park So Hyun:
- 용감한 커플 (Brave Couple) - They are called brave couple because they've known each other for 18 years and people say that there's "absolutely zero fakeness involved" in the way they treat each other on-cam.
- ("Dimples Couple") - MC Park Mi Sun commented on their second episode that they both had dimples.
- (Teukso Couple) - A combination of their first names.
- 리더부부 ("Leader Couple") - They called themselves the leader couple because Leeteuk is Super Junior's leader, and Sora acted as a leader in the movie Sunny as well.
- (Piano Couple) - They showed their piano skills in some episodes of the show and they were both great.
- 전서부부(JoonSeo Couple) - A combination of their first names.
- 정부부(Jung Couple) - Both have "Jung" in their names.
- ("Cherish Couple") - The Chinese fans took the 2nd character from Jinwoon’s name (珍) and the 3rd character from Jun Hee’s name (熙）and put them together. Because it’s sounds like ‘cherish’ in Chinese, that’s the reason why they are called the Cherish Couple.
- 태은부부(Taeun Couple) - A combination of their first names.
- (Young Couple) - They're called the Young couple because they're the youngest couple (combined age) to star in We Got Married together.
- (Innocent Couple) - They're called the Innocent Couple because they have no experience in dating nor in an actual relationship.
- 고기부부(Kogi Couple) - Acknowledged by both of them when they both admitted meat to be their favorite food to eat.
- (Clumsy Couple) - They`re called the Clumsy Couple because they both don`t know how to cook or cut fruits.
- 나민부부(NaMin Couple) - A combination of their names.
- (Adventurous Couple) - Because of their fondness for extreme sports.
- 정-정부부(Jung-Jung Couple) - Both of them have "Jung" as their surnames.
- (Alcohol Couple) - Because of their love for alcohol.
- 포카구리(PocaGuri) - "Poca" from Pocahontas animated film because Yumi resembles her complex skin color. "Guri" from neoguri (raccoon) because Yumi and fans nicknamed Joonyoung "neoguri" because he looks like a raccoon due to his dark circles.
- Sohan Couple - A combination of their last names.
Global We Got Married
- ("Circus Couple") - Named because both of them did some tricks;Mina riding a unicycle and Hong Ki spinning trays with one or two fingers (and a small table).
- 홍미나("HongMina Couple") - A combination of their names.
- ("Ramji Couple") - Because they said they're both look like squirrel ("Daramji" in Korean).
- ("Rainbow Couple") - Named because bad weather that almost always after them.
- ("Cutie Couple") - They are called cutie couple bacause they sang the YouTube hit "Gwiyomi" while cooking dinner.
- 택귀("TaecGui Couple") - A combination of their first names.
- ("Alien Couple") - They're called Alien Couple because the favorite character cartoon of Gui Gui is an Alien.
- ("MurMur" Couple) - If they don't understand each other or sometimes when arguing they talk to themselves.
- 미친부부("Crazy" Couple) - Gui Gui asks Taecyeon "Michyoso?" which means "Are you crazy?" Thus, Gui Gui later claiming they are both a "crazy couple".
- ("Tom & Jerry" Couple) - Both Taecyeon and Gui Gui have a relationship where one person is happy when the other person is embarrassed by the other.
- 셀카부부("Selca" Couple) - Taecyeon is known to take a lot of pictures of him and Gui Gui together. This plays an important role in the last episode.
- ("Random" Couple) - due to both this couple had too many unexpected and also randomness that happen throughout the whole 15 episodes
- ( "YeonJie" Couple ) - A combination of their name. [Ok Taecyeon and Wu Ying Jie]
- ( "Happy/Jump" Couple )- They always being happy and Taecyeon always said they will have a happy marriage life and enjoy.
- ( "10 point out of 10" Couple) - Gui Gui always dance this 2pm debut song followed by Taecyeon during their honeymoon in Jeju Island and house warming party with 2pm member.
- ( "Kai Bai Bok"/ rock,scissors,paper Couple )- They always play this game suddenly and the most important is when their first time meet, Taecyeon suggest this games to put the silver shoes at Gui Gui.
- ( Ganbei / One shot Couple ) – They always ganbei when drink and their secret sign.
- ( Jiandori / Scrooge Couple ) - When first time they meet at shoes cafe, Gui Gui wants silver shoes but Taecyeon did not buy for her but he give the silver shoes as gift when they exchange their gift at their house.
- "한국일보: PD가 말하는 '우리 결혼했어요'의 진실 혹은 거짓" Hankooki News. 9 July 2009. Retrieved 2012-05-01 (Korean)
- "‘우결’ 조권 가인, MBC 파업 중 발리行 가능했던 이유? (We Got Married continues to Bali, Indonesia despite Labor Strike)" Nate News. 11 May 2011. Retrieved 2012-05-01 (Korean)
- MBC, 설특집 ‘우결’ 스핀오프 제작…연애판 '우결' 나온다 (We Got Married Spin-Off)" Naver News. 3 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-01 (Korean)
- "한승연·리지·효린·한선화, 우결 연애판 두근두근'출연" [Lizzy, Sunhwa, Hyorin, and Seungyeon confirmed for We Got Married spin-off]. Naver News (in Korean). 6 January 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "우결 스핀오프 두근두근 흔들려 성민-효린 국립극장 촬영 완료 (Hyorin's Pit-a-pat Shake partner revealed to be Super Junior's Sungmin)" Nate News. 6 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-29 (Korean)
- "Chinese version of WGM, which stars T-ara’s Hyomin and Super Junior’s Kyuhyun, airs in Korea". Star News. 15 February 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012.