|Owner||Meteorological Service of Canada|
|Website||WeatherRadio Home Page|
Weatheradio Canada, in French Radiométéo Canada, is a Canadian radio network that broadcasts weather information. Owned and operated by Environment Canada's Meteorological Service of Canada division, the network transmits in both official languages (English and French) from 230 sites across Canada.
In most locations, the service broadcasts on a special VHF frequency audible on special Weatheradio receivers or any FM radio able to receive 10 kHz bandwidth signals centred on the assigned frequencies, although in some locations — primarily national and provincial parks and remote communities with little or no local media service — a transmitter operated by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation transmits the service on a conventional AM or FM frequency.
As of August 2007, most of these AM and FM transmitters are unlicensed by the CRTC under a special license exemption granted to low-power non-commercial broadcasters. The service does not, however, have transmitters serving every populated region of the country.
The frequencies used for Weatheradio are the same frequencies used for its American counterpart, NOAA Weather Radio All Hazards, and weather radios designed for use in one country are compatible for use in the other. Since 2007, the service has been using Specific Area Message Encoding (SAME) technology.
Weatheradio has indicated that in the future it also plans to add other emergency information, such as natural disasters, technological accidents, AMBER alerts and terrorist attacks, to its broadcasts.
For the most part the technology and VHF-FM band plan are the same. Canada has not made any innovations to the transmission standard, as the technology was designed for American use and as such has evolved into having many features, although the technology is available for Canada to implement at their discretion.
- 162.400 MHz
- 162.425 MHz
- 162.450 MHz
- 162.475 MHz
- 162.500 MHz
- 162.525 MHz
- 162.550 MHz
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2007-280, August 7, 2007.
- For instance, there is no Weatheradio Canada signal receivable in Princeton in British Columbia.
- Weatheradio Canada
- Full list of Weatherradio Canada stations
- Weatheradio transmitter directory
- Weatheradio - Transmitter Lists By Province (streema.com)
- Weatheradio - Transmitter lists (including AM and FM transmitters)
- DXinfocentre.com's list of Weatheradio transmitters
- Weatheradio Canada Station XLM538 (Winnipeg MB) - Live streaming audio - NOTE: Live stream is down until further notice.
- Weatheradio Canada Station XMJ316 (Collingwood ON) - Live streaming audio - NOTE: Live stream is silent; no audio playing.
- Weatheradio Canada Station XMJ225 (Toronto ON) - Live streaming audio
- Weatheradio Canada Station XLM300 (Montreal QC) - Live streaming audio