Web science is the study of large-scale socio-technical systems, such as the World Wide Web. It considers the relationship between people and technology, the ways that society and technology co-constitute one another and the impact of this co-constitution on broader society. Web Science is inherently interdisciplinary  and combines research from disciplines as diverse as sociology, computer science, economics and mathematics.
An earlier definition was given by American computer scientist Ben Shneiderman: "Web Science" is a term that refers to processing the information available on the web in similar terms to those applied to natural environment.
The Web Science Institute describes Web Science as focusing "the analytical power of researchers from disciplines as diverse as mathematics, sociology, economics, psychology, law and computer science to understand and explain the Web. It is necessarily interdisciplinary - as much about social and organizational behaviour as about the underpinning technology."
Related major conferences
- ACM Web Science Conference: http://www.websci14.org/
- International World Wide Web Conference (WWW): http://www.www2014.org/
- International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM): http://www.icwsm.org/2013/
- The ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI): http://chi2013.acm.org/
- James Hendler, Nigel Shadbolt, Wendy Hall, Tim Berners-Lee, and Daniel Weitzner. 2008. Web science: an interdisciplinary approach to understanding the web. Commun. ACM 51, 7 (July 2008), 60-69. DOI=10.1145/1364782.1364798 http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1364782.1364798
- Ben Shneiderman. 2007. Web science: a provocative invitation to computer science. Commun. ACM 50, 6 (June 2007), 25-27. DOI=10.1145/1247001.1247022 http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1247001.1247022
- http://www.southampton.ac.uk/wsi/about/what_is_web_science.page? Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- http://tw.rpi.edu/web/wsrc Web Science Research Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
- http://eng.webst.kaist.ac.kr/ Division of Web Science and Technology, KAIST, Korea
- Institute for Web Science and Technologies, University of Koblenz-Landau
- E-Business and Web Science Research Group at Bundeswehr University Munich
- The Web Science Doctoral Training Centre at the University of Southampton
- The Web Sciences Masters program at the Johannes Kepler University Linz
- Web Science Institute, University of Southampton
- The Interdisciplinary Research Unit in Web Science at Saint-Joseph University of Beirut
- Why do we need web science research
- A Framework for Web Science
- Talk on web science by W3C
- MSc on Web Science at Institute WeST, University of Koblenz-Landau, Germany
- MSc on Web Sciences divided into different branches of study at Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria
- MSc on Web Science and Big Data Analytics at University College London, UK
- What is Web Science? (Video clip)
- The Web Science Education Workshop
- The Web Science Education Map
- Master's Programme WebScience at Cologne University of Applied Sciences
- The Web Science Institute at the University of Southampton