For the Pulitzer Prize-winning war correspondent, see Webb Miller (journalist).
|Webb Colby Miller|
|Born||1943 (age 70–71)|
|Institutions||The Pennsylvania State University|
|Alma mater||University of Washington|
|Thesis||Toward Abstract Numerical Analysis (1969)|
|Doctoral advisor||Robert Wells Ritchie|
|Notable awards||ISCB Accomplishment by a Senior Scientist Award|
Miller received his Ph.D. in mathematics from the University of Washington in 1969. He joined Penn State in September 1985. Prior to that, he had held a position as permanent staff member at the IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center and served on the faculty at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and the University of Arizona. He is a fellow of ISCB (International Society for Computational Biology).
Miller has been developing algorithms and software for analyzing DNA sequences and related types of data from molecular genetics. He is one of the authors of BLAST. He also develops methods for aligning long DNA sequences and extracting functional information from them. Webb Miller has made important contributions to the analysis of many vertebrate genomes. He is regarded as one of the pioneers in the field of computational biology.
Webb Miller’s recent research interests include the bioinformatics of species extinction, collaborating with Stephan Schuster, who is a Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at Penn State. In November 2008, they published a paper in Nature (journal) that described a draft sequence for the woolly mammoth genome.
- Webb Miller at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Morrison Mckay, B. J.; Sansom, C. (2009). "Webb Miller and Trey Ideker to Receive Top International Bioinformatics Awards for 2009 from the International Society for Computational Biology". PLoS Computational Biology 5 (4): e1000375. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000375. PMC 2666155. PMID 19390599.
- Altschul, S.; Gish, W.; Miller, W.; Myers, E.; Lipman, D. (1990). "Basic Local Alignment Search Tool". Journal of Molecular Biology 215 (3): 403–410. doi:10.1016/S0022-2836(05)80360-2. PMID 2231712.
- Altschul, S.; Madden, T. L.; Schäffer, A. A.; Zhang, J.; Zhang, Z.; Miller, W.; Lipman, D. J. (1997). "Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: A new generation of protein database search programs". Nucleic Acids Research 25 (17): 3389–3402. doi:10.1093/nar/25.17.3389. PMC 146917. PMID 9254694.
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server
- Miller, W.; Drautz, D. I.; Ratan, A.; Pusey, B.; Qi, J.; Lesk, A. M.; Tomsho, L. P.; Packard, M. D.; Zhao, F.; Sher, A.; Tikhonov, A.; Raney, B.; Patterson, N.; Lindblad-Toh, K.; Lander, E. S.; Knight, J. R.; Irzyk, G. P.; Fredrikson, K. M.; Harkins, T. T.; Sheridan, S.; Pringle, T.; Schuster, S. C. (2008). "Sequencing the nuclear genome of the extinct woolly mammoth". Nature 456 (7220): 387–390. doi:10.1038/nature07446. PMID 19020620.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Webb Miller.|