|Initial release||January 1st 2008|
|Available in||Catalan, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Czech, English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Slovak, Spanish, Turkish|
|Type||Website Builder, Web Hosting, Web 2.0|
Westcom, Ltd. started the development of Webnode in September 2006, having the official launch 16 months later in January 2008.
Originally since 2002, the developer company Westcom had created online applications for large customers and had developed a system they could use for making it easier to programmers to launch and create new websites. From this framework system came the idea of creating a website builder tool for non-technical users.
First the Czech version was launched and then the Slovak one became operational in early June. By the end of 2008 Webnode had more than 200,000 users in more than 80 countries around the world, including the United States, Spain and China. Two years later, in 2010 its user base raised to more than 2 000 000 users and it had 12 language versions.
The system is offered under the Freemium business model having a free offer with limitations, and the possibility to upgrade to Premium packages which offer more storage space, bandwidth and extra features.
Awards and Recognitions
- Webnode website - About us section. Webnode - About us
- Butcher, Mike (April 3, 2008). NextWeb – Startup pitches round 2
- Peter Sayer, IDG News Service (December 10, 2008). Le Web 08: Startups plan 'Facebookification' of the Web
- Kasik, Pavel - Technet.cz (April 19, 2008). Český projekt Webnode: Svůj web teď může mít i každá babička.
- WebExpo 2010 (September 25, 2010). Talk: Vít Vrba - How to build successfull[sic startu-up with 2M users in two years.]
- Kratěna, Ondřej (April 7, 2010). Manage your website with your mobile
- Kasik, Pavel - iDnes/Technet (December 1, 2009). Webové stránky můžete kompletně editovat i z mobilu.
- Butcher, Mike (December 10, 2008). Le Web Has A Room With A Viewdle – Startup Winners Picked