Wedding of Princess Anne and Mark Philips
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (July 2011)|
The wedding of Princess Anne and Mark Phillips took place on Wednesday, 14 November 1973 at Westminster Abbey in London. An estimated 500 million television viewers from around the world watched them marry.
Princess Anne and Mark Phillips met at the Munich Olympics in 1972 where he won an equestrian gold medal. Princess Anne had been a keen fan of horses for most of her life and they bonded over that. She was BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 1971.
Their engagement was announced in May 1973.
The day was declared a bank holiday and a global estimated audience of 500 million watched the Westminster Abbey ceremony, with large crowds lining the streets on the wedding day.
The service was a traditional royal wedding conducted by Donald Coggan, the Archbishop of Canterbury at the time. The married couple then returned to Buckingham Palace for the traditional balcony appearance before going on their honeymoon, on board the Royal Yacht Britannia traveling the Atlantic and Pacific Ocean.
Being a traditional royal wedding, Mark Phillips, being a Lieutenant at the time, wore the army uniform of his regiment, the Queen's Dragoon Guards while Princess Anne wore a Tudor wedding inspired dress which included a traditional high collar and medieval sleeves, inspired by Elizabethan dress. It was made of silk especially woven for Princess Anne.
Her tiara was borrowed from her mother, Elizabeth II's wedding to Philip Mountbatten.
The Royal family that attended the wedding included:
- The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, the bride's parents
- The Queen Mother, the bride's grandmother
- The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, the bride's granduncle and grandaunt
- The Duke and Duchess of Kent, the bride's cousin, once removed and his wife
- Prince Michael of Kent, the bride's cousin, once removed
- Princess Alexandra, The Hon Mrs Angus Ogilvy and Mr Angus Ogilvy, the bride's cousin, once removed and her husband
- Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone, the bride's thrid cousin
- Other royal guests
- The Prince and Princess of Monaco
- The Prince and Princess of Spain
- The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Norway
- The Crown Prince of Sweden
- King Constantine II and Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes
- Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus of the Netherlands
The Princess Royal was escorted to her wedding in the traditional horse and carriage, The Glass Coach, by her father, Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh.