||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (November 2014)|
WeeChat 0.3.2 with the default configuration and the buffers.pl script in use
|Original author(s)||Sébastien Helleu|
|Initial release||June 26, 2003|
|Stable release||1.1.1 (January 25, 2015) [±]|
|Preview release||1.2-dev / nightly build|
|Operating system||GNU/Linux, BSD, OS X, GNU Hurd, Microsoft Windows (using Cygwin)|
|Available in||7 languages|
WeeChat (Wee Enhanced Environment for Chat) is a free and open-source Internet Relay Chat client, which is designed to be light and fast. It is released under the terms of the GNU General Public License 3 and has been developed since 2003.
Weechat can be used and navigated using a keyboard alone but also supports mouse input. The client can be heavily customized via configuration files and using various plugins and scripts.
WeeChat's features include:
- Proxy connections
- The screen can be split up to display multiple windows at the same time.
- Incremental text search
- Aspell support for spell checking
- Scripting support for many languages (Perl, Python, Ruby, Lua, Tcl, Scheme with GNU Guile)
- FIFO pipes for remote control
- Support for multiple character encodings
- User-defined aliases and shortkeys
Binary packages and builds of WeeChat are available for installation as well as the source code for self compilation. This includes most Linux distributions, such as Debian, Ubuntu, Mandriva Linux, Fedora, Gentoo Linux, Arch Linux, as well as FreeBSD via the FreeBSD Ports system.
In his review for Free Software Magazine, Martin Brown graded WeeChat with 43 points out of a possible 50, noting that "At first glance, WeeChat is not as friendly or easy to use as Rhapsody", but, "There’s a lot of hidden power built into the application", including Python, Perl, Ruby and Lua extensions which can be selected at installation.
- "Version 1.1.1 - WeeChat news". weechat.org. Retrieved 2015-01-25.
- "WeeChat, the extensible chat client". Retrieved 2015-01-11.
- "WeeChat translator guide". FlashTux. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "WeeChat :: about :: Features". weechat.org. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "WeeChat in Cygwin". weechat.org. 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2014-08-06.
- "WeeChat: Downloads". weechat.org. 2009-03-04. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Debian: WeeChat packages". packages.debian.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Ubuntu: WeeChat packages". packages.ubuntu.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Mandriva: WeeChat packages". mandriva.com. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Fedora: WeeChat packages". fedoraproject.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Gentoo: WeeChat packages". gentoo.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Arch Linux: WeeChat packages". archlinux.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "FreeBSD Ports: WeeChat". freebsd.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- Brown, Martin (2005-09-07). "Free IRC clients : Choosing the best IRC client for your needs". Free Software Magazine (7). Retrieved 2014-01-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to WeeChat.|
- Official website
- Github page
- Savannah project page (deprecated)
- WeeChat at Freecode
- #weechat connect on freenode