Weesp railway station
Weesp is a railway station in Weesp, Netherlands. The station has 2 island platforms and it has a total of 6 tracks, from which 2 tracks are for passing trains. The first station in Weesp opened its doors in 1874, when the Gooilijn from Amsterdam to Hilversum and Amersfoort was completed. The original station was demolished in 1967 and replaced by a new building. The new building partially went out of service in 1985 because of the new railway line from Weesp to Almere and beyond, called the Flevolijn. The out-of-service part was later converted to a bicycle parking and repair shop. The remaining station is little more than a tunnel passing under the tracks, and a small coffee counter. Train services are operated by Nederlandse Spoorwegen.
Since the opening of the Flevolijn, Weesp has been a major transfer station for passengers travelling from Amsterdam Central Station and Schiphol from the east, and suburbs such as Almere and Hilversum to the west. Due to this circumstance, Weesp features 16 departures per hour. Until 2003, also passagers travelling between Hilversum and Almere had to change at Weesp. In that year a new branch, the Gooiboog, was added to connect the line towards Almere with the line towards Naarden-Bussum railway station and Hilversum.
The traveling time from Weesp to Amsterdam Centraal by train is about 15 minutes. The distance between the two is about 15 kilometers.
The following train services call at Weesp:
- 2x per hour local service (sprinter) Hoofddorp - Schiphol - Duivendrecht - Almere Oostvaarders
- 2x per hour local service (sprinter) Amsterdam - Almere - Lelystad - Zwolle
- 2x per hour local service (sprinter) The Hague - Leiden - Hoofddorp - Schiphol - Duivendrecht - Hilversum - Utrecht
- 2x per hour local service (sprinter) Hoofddorp - Schiphol - Amsterdam - Hilversum - Amersfoort Vathorst
- 49 Bijlmer ArenA - Karspeldreef - Gaasperplas - Driemond - Weesp (GVB)
- 106 Weesp - Nederhorst den Berg (Connexxion)
- 110 Weesp - Muiden P&R - Muidenberg (P&R) - Gooimeer P&R - Naarden - Bussum (Connexxion)
- 122 Weesp - Nigtevecht - Vreeland (Connexxion)
- NS website (Dutch)
- Dutch Public Transport journey planner (Dutch)
- Information Station Weesp on NS website (Dutch)