|Population||1,038 (Dec 2012)|
|- Density||146 /km2 (377 /sq mi)|
|Area||7.13 km2 (2.75 sq mi)|
|Elevation||441 m (1,447 ft)|
|Surrounded by||Gipf-Oberfrick, Hellikon, Hemmiken (BL), Rothenfluh (BL), Schupfart, Wittnau|
Wegenstetten has an area, as of 2009[update], of 7.13 square kilometers (2.75 sq mi). Of this area, 4.11 km2 (1.59 sq mi) or 57.6% is used for agricultural purposes, while 2.39 km2 (0.92 sq mi) or 33.5% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.59 km2 (0.23 sq mi) or 8.3% is settled (buildings or roads), 0.01 km2 (2.5 acres) or 0.1% is either rivers or lakes.
Of the built up area, housing and buildings made up 4.8% and transportation infrastructure made up 2.5%. Out of the forested land, 30.7% of the total land area is heavily forested and 2.8% is covered with orchards or small clusters of trees. Of the agricultural land, 26.9% is used for growing crops and 28.3% is pastures, while 2.4% is used for orchards or vine crops. All the water in the municipality is flowing water.
Coat of arms
Wegenstetten has a population (as of December 2012[update]) of 1,038 As of June 2009[update], 7.9% of the population are foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years (1997–2007) the population has changed at a rate of 6.2%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German(95.8%), with Serbo-Croatian being second most common ( 1.5%) and Albanian being third ( 1.2%).
The age distribution, as of 2008[update], in Wegenstetten is; 116 children or 10.6% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old and 146 teenagers or 13.3% are between 10 and 19. Of the adult population, 129 people or 11.8% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 124 people or 11.3% are between 30 and 39, 176 people or 16.1% are between 40 and 49, and 158 people or 14.4% are between 50 and 59. The senior population distribution is 123 people or 11.2% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 72 people or 6.6% are between 70 and 79, there are 41 people or 3.7% who are between 80 and 89,and there are 9 people or 0.8% who are 90 and older.
As of 2000[update], there were 16 homes with 1 or 2 persons in the household, 153 homes with 3 or 4 persons in the household, and 193 homes with 5 or more persons in the household. As of 2000[update], there were 365 private households (homes and apartments) in the municipality, and an average of 2.7 persons per household. In 2008[update] there were 255 single family homes (or 57.6% of the total) out of a total of 443 homes and apartments. There were a total of 3 empty apartments for a 0.7% vacancy rate. As of 2007[update], the construction rate of new housing units was 1.9 new units per 1000 residents.
In the 2007 federal election the most popular party was the SVP which received 31.76% of the vote. The next three most popular parties were the CVP (19.36%), the Green Party (12.54%) and the FDP (11.06%). In the federal election, a total of 370 votes were cast, and the voter turnout was 46.9%.
The historical population is given in the following table:
As of 2007[update], Wegenstetten had an unemployment rate of 1.1%. As of 2005[update], there were 66 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 19 businesses involved in this sector. 21 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 7 businesses in this sector. 95 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 24 businesses in this sector.
In 2000[update] there were 465 workers who lived in the municipality. Of these, 357 or about 76.8% of the residents worked outside Wegenstetten while 59 people commuted into the municipality for work. There were a total of 167 jobs (of at least 6 hours per week) in the municipality. Of the working population, 13.5% used public transportation to get to work, and 55.8% used a private car.
From the 2000 census[update], 613 or 61.7% were Roman Catholic, while 214 or 21.5% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there were 60 individuals (or about 6.04% of the population) who belonged to the Christian Catholic faith.
In Wegenstetten about 75.8% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). Of the school age population (in the 2008/2009 school year[update]), there are 91 students attending primary school, there are 68 students attending secondary school in the municipality.
Wegenstetten is home to the Schul-u.Gde.Bibliothek Wegenstetten (school and municipal library of Wegenstetten). The library has (as of 2008[update]) 1,300 books or other media, and loaned out 680 items in the same year. It was open a total of 50 days with average of 1.5 hours per week during that year.
- Canton of Aargau Statistical Office, MS Excel document – Bevölkerungsbestand 2012 nach Gemeinde, Geschlecht u. Nationalität (per 31. Dezember 2012)] (German) accessed 23 July 2013
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office-Land Use Statistics 2009 data (German) accessed 25 March 2010
- Flags of the World.com accessed 28-May-2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau -Bereich 01 -Bevölkerung (German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 28-May-2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau -Bevölkerungsdaten für den Kanton Aargau und die Gemeinden (Archiv) (German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau - Aargauer Zahlen 2009 (German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau (German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office, Nationalratswahlen 2007: Stärke der Parteien und Wahlbeteiligung, nach Gemeinden/Bezirk/Canton (German) accessed 28 May 2010
- ISOS site accessed 28-May-2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau-Bereich 11 Verkehr und Nachrichtenwesen (German) accessed 21 January 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office, list of libraries (German) accessed 14 May 2010
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wegenstetten.|