Tenure with the Baltimore Orioles
|Baltimore Orioles – No. 16|
July 21, 1985 |
Kaohsiung County, Taiwan
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|NPB: April 3, 2005 for the Chunichi Dragons|
|MLB: April 10, 2012 for the Baltimore Orioles|
|Earned run average||2.59|
(through August 25, 2014)
|Earned run average||3.95|
|Career highlights and awards|
Wei-Yin Chen (traditional Chinese: 陳偉殷; born July 21, 1985) is a Taiwanese professional baseball pitcher with the Baltimore Orioles of Major League Baseball (MLB) in the United States. Prior to joining the Orioles, Chen spent four years pitching in the Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) league in Japan.
Chen played for the ROC (Taiwan) National Team in 2004 and 2008 Olympic Games. He was a pitcher for the Chunichi Dragons in Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) from 2004 through 2011. Chen had Tommy John surgery at the end of 2006 season. His best season in Japan came in 2009 when he posted a 1.54 earned run average (ERA) to lead the league. When he came out of the Nippon League, FanGraphs described him as being an extreme control pitcher with poor velocity. A clause implemented into his contract with Chunichi allowed him to opt out after the 2011 season at age 26.
After the 2011 season, Chen signed as an international free agent with the Baltimore Orioles. Chen was the first Taiwanese player ever signed by the Orioles. He made his MLB debut on April 10, 2012 against the New York Yankees in Baltimore. The game was broadcast live on national television in native Taiwan, and Chen totaled 52⁄3 innings and gave up two earned runs striking out six in a no-decision that the Orioles would later go on to lose in extra innings. In total, Chen finished the season leading the team with 32 starts during which he totaled 12 wins and 11 losses and posted an ERA of 4.02 in 192.2 innings pitched. In 2012, Chen was "the only constant in the (Orioles) rotation" and was consistent throughout the year.
Coming out of spring training, Chen won the number two spot in the Orioles' starting rotation behind Jason Hammel. Chen set a goal to throw 200 innings on the season. If accomplished, he will become the first Oriole since Jeremy Guthrie to achieve the feat. In his first three starts, he lacked run support and went 0-2 despite posting a 4.00 ERA. On May 15, 2013, the Orioles placed Chen on the disabled list, his first-ever stint there, with an injury to his right oblique. In his return from the disabled list on July 10, 2013, Chen pitched seven innings in a matchup against the Texas Rangers striking out four and allowing three hits, earning the win. Overall in 2013, Chen finished 7-7 with a 4.07 ERA in 23 starts. During the 2013 off-season, Chen underwent knee surgery to remove bone spurs.
Chen pitched a season-high of eight strikeouts in a win against the Seattle Mariners on August 1, 2014. He dedicated the win to victims of the 2014 Kaohsiung gas explosions, which occurred hours earlier in his hometown. On September 10, Chen picked up his 15th win of the season against the Boston Red Sox and carried a perfect game into the sixth inning until Dan Butler's first major league hit.
An "extreme flyball pitcher", Chen pitches from a three-quarters arm slot and throws a fastball averaging 91 mph. In addition, he throws a two-seamer, a slider, a curveball, and a changeup that he grips similar to a splitter. Since he previously pitched in Japan where he started on five days rest rather than four, with the Orioles he had durability issues and was 0-4 in his last seven starts in 2012. Chen has been described as a legitimate middle-of-the-rotation starter. An opposing scout said, "I watched Wei-Yin Chen and swore I was watching Tom Glavine. He has such an effortless delivery and an above-average change up, and knows how to pitch inside."
- Nippon Professional Baseball. "個人年度別成績 【チェン（陳偉殷） （中日ドラゴンズ）】" (in Japanese). Nippon Professional Baseball. Retrieved 2012-07-19.
- "Wei-Yin Chen Stats, Video Highlights, Photos, Bio / Baltimore Orioles". MLB Advanced Media. Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- Huang, Paul (14 June 2012). "Taiwan’s Chen Wei-yin makes history". Taipei Times. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Chen Wei-Yin". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- Keh, Andrew (2 September 2012). "Rookie Wei-Yin Chen is the constant in Baltimore's rotation". The New York Times. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- Golebiewski, David (10 January 2012). "Who is Wei- Yin Chen?". FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball. FanGraphs. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- Ghiroli, Brittany (10 January 2012). "Wei-Yin Chen gives Orioles veteran left-handed starter". MLB.com: News. MLB Advanced Media.
- Chen, Albert (22 June 2012). "Wei-Yin Chen just one of Baltimore Orioles' recent international signings". SI.com. Time. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- Encina, Eduardo (11 April 2012). "Baltimore gets first glimpse of Chen, but falls short in 12". The Washington Post (via HighBeam Research (subscription required)). Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Wei-Yin Chen Game By Game Stats and Performance". Baltimore Orioles - ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Major League Baseball Stats". orioles.com: Stats. MLB Advanced Media. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- "Breaking down the Orioles starting rotation options". Camden Chat - SB Nation. Vox Media. 15 February 2013. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- White, R.J. (27 March 2013). "Wei-Yin Chen named Orioles' No. 2 starter". CBSSports.com. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 3 April 2013. "the source is in the scroll box in the center of the page; no permalink exists"
- Simon, Andrew. "Baltimore Orioles at Tampa Bay Rays - April 3, 2013". MLB.com Preview. MLB Advanced Media. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- Ghiroli, Brittany (14 April 2013). "Baltimore Orioles at New York Yankees - April 14, 2013". MLB.com BAL Recap. MLB Advanced Media. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- Associated Press (15 May 2013). "Baltimore Orioles place Wei-Yin Chen on DL with oblique strain". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "Orioles' Wei-Yin Chen beats Rangers in return from DL". USA TODAY. Associated Press. 10 July 2013. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- Baltimore Orioles: A win for Wei-Yin Chen and for Taiwan
- Orioles beat Red Sox 10-6; Wei-Yin Chen picks up 15th win of the year
- "2013 Baseball Preview & Player Rankings". MLB.com: News. Player number 324: MLB Advanced Media. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- "Wei-Yin Chen >> Statistics >> Pitching". FanGraphs Baseball. FanGraphs. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- Reynolds, Drew (20 December 2012). "Wei-Yin Chen - Baltimore Orioles Starting Rotation Options for 2013". Bleacher Report. Turner Broadcasting System. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- Stoner, Chris (28 February 2013). "2013 Projections: Wei-Yin Chen". Baltimore Sports and LifeBaltimore Sports and Life. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- Sports Network (26 March 2013). "Baltimore Orioles 2013 Preview". Fox News. Philadelphia: FOX News Network. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- Reiter, Ben (1 April 2013), "Baseball Preview", Sports Illustrated: 76, retrieved 28 March 2013
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- NPB career stats
- Wei-Yin Chen on Facebook