Weight Loss (The Office)
|The Office episode|
|Episode no.||Season 5
|Directed by||Paul Feig|
|Written by||Lee Eisenberg
|Original air date||September 25, 2008|
|Running time||42 minutes|
|List of The Office (U.S. TV series) episodes|
"Weight Loss" is the fifth season premiere of the American comedy television series The Office, and the show's seventy-third and seventy-fourth episode overall. Written by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, and directed by Paul Feig, the episode first aired as a single 60 minute show in the United States on September 25, 2008 on NBC. "Weight Loss" was subsequently divided into two separate thirty-minute episodes which first aired on November 27 and 28, 2008, both following broadcasts of The Incredibles.
In this episode, the whole Office participates in a company-wide weight loss contest. Pam goes to New York City for art school, causing her and Jim to have to adjust to being temporarily apart. Also, awkward tension is created between Michael and Holly after she accepts a date with another man, and Angela and Dwight continue their secret relationship, Angela's upcoming marriage to Andy notwithstanding. The episode was voted the second best episode of the season in a poll at the fan site OfficeTally.
The office joins a company-wide weight loss competition, with a prize of extra vacation days for the winning branch. Initially enthusiastic, the competition eventually weighs on the staff, especially Kelly Kapoor (Mindy Kaling) who stops eating and tries numerous diets, eventually passing out during one weigh-in. Corporate responds with a memo that staff should not resort to drastic weight loss measures. The Scranton branch ends up losing the competition, although Stanley Hudson (Leslie David Baker) is proud of his individual results.
Pam Beesly (Jenna Fischer) begins a three-month graphic design class in New York. Wanting to see her, Jim meets Pam for lunch at an interstate rest stop between Scranton and New York City. He proposes to her outside in the pouring rain, and she accepts ecstatically.
Plotting his return to the company, Ryan Howard (B. J. Novak) apologizes to various people around the office for his past behavior. He also apologizes, and asks out, his former girlfriend Kelly Kapoor (Mindy Kaling), only to be rejected when she tells him that she is dating Darryl Philbin (Craig Robinson).
Holly Flax (Amy Ryan) yells at Angela Martin (Angela Kinsey) for chastising Kevin Malone (Brian Baumgartner), still believing he is mentally retarded. He awkwardly reveals he is not retarded, and an embarrassed Holly apologizes and walks away. Holly continues to show interest in Michael Scott (Steve Carell), now with a David Brent style goatee, until she catches him talking to a pregnant Jan Levenson (Melora Hardin). Holly then goes out on a date with Oscar's yoga instructor, and buys Counting Crows tickets as a surprise for their next date. When he never calls her, Michael berates the yoga instructor to Holly's pleasure, then offers to buy the tickets from her only to tear them up.
Phyllis Lapin-Vance (Phyllis Smith) takes over the Party Planning Committee by blackmailing Angela with her knowledge of Angela and Dwight's secret affair. After Angela shoots down all of Andy's wedding ideas, she warms up to him until he tells her that he booked his a cappella band to play at their wedding.
The Season Five DVD contains a number of deleted scenes from this episode. Notable cut scenes include:
- Michael tells Jim that he wants to pop grapes into Holly's mouth, but Jim advises him to take it slow, stating: "Friends don't go around popping grapes in each other's mouths."
- Holly and Michael joke around, and Dwight abruptly ruins the joke.
- Kelly and Meredith curse each other out while putting up the weight loss chart.
- Holly (still thinking that Kevin is mentally retarded) is surprised when Kevin uses the word "carbohydrates."
- Michael orders Dwight to remove Jim's chair because he thinks Jim messed him up by advising him to take it slow with Holly.
- Jim uses paper for his new chair.
- Oscar asks Andy to turn the heat down. Andy starts freaking out thus Oscar walks away.
- Ryan is dropped off by his mother, and gives her a kiss on the cheek.
- David Wallace is furious when he finds out Ryan is still working at Dunder Mifflin. Wallace yells at Ryan through the phone.
- Holly brings Michael some documents while Michael is talking about Ryan in a phone conversation with David Wallace. While leaving, she overhears the conversation they are having and is pleased when Michael saves Ryan's job.
- When Michael tells Ryan that he saved his job, Ryan expresses displeasure about staying as a temp.
In the 18-49 demographic, "Weight Loss" earned a 4.9/11 ratings share. The episode was watched by 9.1 million viewers.
Jim's proposal to Pam ranked number 2 in phillyBurbs.com's top ten moments from the fifth season of The Office. Dwight and Angela carrying on their affair in the hidden corner of the warehouse during business hours ranked number 7 on that list. Writer Jen Weilgus described Dwight's line, "We done good in there, Half Pint," as the best quote of the season. Ryan's return as a temp in this episode, tied with his second return appearance in the episode "Dream Team", ranked number 5 in the list. Travis Fickett of IGN claims, "It's another terrifc mix of character and comedy is perfectly balanced." At the end of the article he says that, "The Office remains one of the funniest, best written, best performed and one the best shows of TV. Period." "Weight Loss" was voted the second highest-rated episode out of 26 from the fifth season, according to an episode poll at the fansite OfficeTally; the episode was rated 8.92 out of 10.