Welcome to Jamrock
|Welcome to Jamrock|
|Studio album by Damian Marley|
|Released||September 12, 2005|
|Recorded||2005 @ Lion's Den, Miami, Florida, USA
Marley Music, Kingston, Jamaica
Tuff Gong, Kingston, Jamaica
|Genre||Reggae, dancehall, reggae fusion|
|Producer||Damian Marley & Stephen Marley|
|Damian Marley chronology|
Marley won two 2006 Grammy Awards for the album, Best Reggae Album and Best Urban/Alternative Performance (for the track "Welcome to Jamrock"). Guests on the album include Stephen Marley, Black Thought and Nas. The executive producers of the album were Stephen Marley and Damian Marley.
- "Confrontation" (featuring spoken introduction from Bunny Wailer)
- "There for You"
- "Welcome to Jamrock"
- "The Master Has Come Back" (Scratches by Corey Chase)
- "All Night" (featuring Stephen Marley)
- "Beautiful" (featuring Bobby Brown)
- "Pimpa's Paradise" (featuring Stephen Marley and Black Thought)
- "For the Babies" (featuring Stephen Marley)
- "Hey Girl" (featuring Stephen Marley and Rovleta Fraser)
- "Road to Zion" (featuring Nas)
- "We're Gonna Make It"
- "In 2 Deep"
- "Khaki Suit" (featuring Bounty Killer and Eek-a-Mouse)
- "Carnal Mind" (featuring Chew Stick) (Bonus track)
The song peaked at number 55 in the US on the Billboard Hot 100, but did better on the R&B and rap charts, peaking at numbers 18 and 12, respectively. It also did well in the UK, peaking at number 13.
Steve Yates, in The Observer, gave the album five stars out of five, concluding that "Like his father, Damian is tucked in well behind the cutting edge of digital production, but this fine collection of songs outshines the ephemeral delights of modern day dancehall. The Jr Gong is banging. Get it on."
David Jeffries, writing for Allmusic, gave the album four starts out of five, saying "Besides the fantastic single, this album has "legs," with a bulging lyric sheet filled with vivid and crafty lines that offer plenty to focus on once all the sonic brilliance has sunk in. A career-defining moment that lives up to a huge hit, Welcome to Jamrock is a tremendous achievement."
- "Confrontation" contains spoken-word samples from speeches made by Haile Selassie I and Marcus Garvey. The music is a sample of the entrance music of former WCW wrestler Bill Goldberg.
- "Road to Zion" contains a sample from "Russian Lullaby" by Ella Fitzgerald
- "Move!" contains a sample from "Exodus" by Bob Marley & The Wailers
- "Welcome to Jamrock" contains a sample from "World a Music" by Ini Kamoze
- "The Master Has Come Back" contains a sample from "Bide Up" by Bunny Wailer.
- "All Night" contains the sample from "Nimrod" by The Skatalites.
- "There for You" contains a sample from "Heartbreak Hotel" by the Jacksons.
- "Khaki Suit" contains a sample from "Anorexol" by Eek-A-Mouse .
- Allmusic review
- Yates, Steve (18 September 2005). "At last, cheers Steve Yates, a scion of Zion shows real talent". The Guardian.
- Pitchfork Media review
- Rolling Stone review
- Mojo (Publisher) (p.104) - 4 stars out of 5 - "[O]n tougher cuts 'In 2 Deep' and 'Confrontation' he's lyrically and musically most adept....He's following in the footsteps of Gil Scott-Heron and Linton Kwesi Johnson."
- SPIN review
- CRIA Gold & Platinum certifications for February 2007. Retrieved July 25, 2007.
- Top 200 SoundScan Album Sales (08/23/2006)