Welcome to New York (2014 film)
|Welcome to New York|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Abel Ferrara|
|Produced by||Adam Folk|
|Written by||Abel Ferrara
Shanyn Leigh (fr)
|Edited by||Anthony Redman|
|Distributed by||IFC Films|
|Running time||125 minutes|
Welcome to New York is a 2014 French-American drama film co-written and directed by Abel Ferrara. Inspired by the Dominique Strauss-Kahn affair, the film was released on 17 May 2014 by VOD on the internet as the film failed to secure a place on the official selection at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival, nor was it picked up for theatrical distribution in France and is facing self-censorship by the French media, according to Vincent Maraval, one of the producers.
In the film, the character Devereaux is closely based on French politician Dominique Strauss-Kahn. It tells the story of a powerful man, a possible candidate for the Presidency of France, who lives a life of debauchery and is arrested after being accused of raping a maid at his hotel.
- Gérard Depardieu : Devereaux
- Jacqueline Bisset : Simone
- Marie Mouté : Sophie Devereaux
- Drena De Niro : Executive Assistant
- Amy Ferguson : Renee
- Paul Calderon : Pierre
- Ronald Guttman : Roullot
- Paul Hipp : Guy
- Maria Di Angelis : Stewardess
- Anna Lakomy : Anna
- Shanyn Leigh : Female Journalist
- Natasha Romanova : Russian Yelena
- Aurelie Claudel : Air France VIP Escort
- John Patrick Barry : Port Authority Chief
- Anh Duong : Livia
- Pascal Yen-Pfister : Hotel Security Chief
- Kathryn Lillecrapp : Bebe
- Pamela Afesi : Maid
Reception and lawsuit
Following its release (to mixed reviews varying from high praise to outright disgust), Strauss-Kahn said he would sue for slander. His lawyer also complained the portrayal of his then-wife Anne Sinclair as anti-Semitic.
- "WELCOME TO NEW YORK (18)". British Board of Film Classification. 24 June 2014. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Cannes Film Festival: Strauss-Kahn Film Under Fire". The New York Times. May 18, 2014.
- Keslassy, Elsa. "CANNES: Wild Bunch Pre-Sells Abel Ferrara’s ‘Welcome to New York’ Ahead of Cannes’ Screening". Variety. Archived from the original on 12 May 2014.
- Mullholland, Rory. "Cinema producer warned over 'Dominique Strauss-Kahn film'". Daily Telegraph. Archived from the original on 11 May 2014.
- "Dominique Strauss-Kahn film to be unveiled at Cannes". BBC News. 12 May 2014.
- Lichfield, John. "Dominique Strauss-Kahn to sue makers of Gerard Depardieu sex addiction film Welcome to New York". The Independent. Archived from the original on 20 May 2014.
- "Cannes 2014 - Welcome to New York, review: 'As portraiture, it flops'". Daily Telegraph. Archived from the original on 20 May 2014.
- Official website
- Welcome to New York at the Internet Movie Database
- Welcome to New York at Rotten Tomatoes
- Welcome to New York at Metacritic
- Official trailer at The Local