Welcome to Sweden (2014 TV series)
|Welcome to Sweden|
|Created by||Greg Poehler|
|Narrated by||The Swedish Spell Gang|
|Opening theme||"Living in America" by The Sounds|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Original language(s)||English, Swedish|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Original run||21 March 2014– present|
Welcome to Sweden is a Swedish sitcom that premiered on TV4 on March 21, 2014. On July 10, 2014, the series began airing on NBC in the United States, and on The Comedy Network in Canada. It is based on the experiences of Greg Poehler, who moved with his girlfriend to her native country of Sweden in 2006.
When the series premiered in the US the script and some of the scenes had to be adapted. Bornebusch remarked that she had to redub her own lines, exchanging "fucking" with "freaking"'. Also, some sauna scenes had to be blurred out.
- Bruce Evans (Greg Poehler), moves from New York to Sweden for love, or more specifically, for his Swedish girlfriend Emma. But he also sees this as an opportunity to start over and do something meaningful with his life, as he no longer wants to be an accountant for spoiled celebrities. Bruce is the son of Wayne Evans (Patrick Duffy), the mayor of a small mid-western town in the USA, and Nancy Evans (Illeana Douglas), housewife. Bruce has rebelled against his conservative and religious upbringing and become a nice, fun, and liberal man who lives his life one day at a time. He is light-hearted and lives by the motto that everything will work out just fine, which means that he always chooses the simplest way out of complicated situations. He is open-minded and social, even though he often ends up in situations where he is questioned.
- Emma Wiik (Josephine Bornebusch), is an intelligent, loving, and fun girl who moves back home to Sweden to start working at a bank after many years in New York. She wants to prove to her mother that she has found her soulmate in Bruce and that their relationship will last longer than two weeks. Emma is the oldest child of Birger Wiik (Claes Månsson) and Viveka Börjesson (Lena Olin). Emma has a complicated relationship with her mother, who sees herself in her daughter and tries to fulfill the dreams she had growing up through her. In her hunt for a grand career she met Bruce, and his background as a celebrity accountant fits her needs perfectly.
- Viveka Börjesson (Lena Olin), Emma's mother, an intelligent woman who says that honesty lasts the longest, no matter the effects.
- Birger Wiik (Claes Månsson), Emma's father, a retired sea captain who is the incarnation of a typical Swedish man; tall, kind and quiet.
- Gustaf Wiik (Christopher Wagelin), Emma's brother
- Bengt Wiik (Per Svensson), Emma's uncle
Season 1 (2014)
|TitleA||Directed by||Written by||Swedish air date||U.S. air date||Swedish viewers (millions)||U.S. viewers
|Carl Åstrand||Greg Poehler, Josephine Bornebusch, Niclas Carlsson||March 21, 2014||July 10, 2014||1.695||3.51|
|Bruce Evans quits his job as a celebrity accountant in New York to move to Sweden with the love of his life, Emma. Already on his first day he has to face new challenges in his adopted country, and above all, he has to meet his girlfriend's strange family. Bruce arrives at the airport where Emma picks him up; as she has rented out her apartment during her time in the USA, they now have to stay with her family until they can find a new place to live.
Guest star: Amy Poehler
"Learn the Language"
|Carl Åstrand||Greg Poehler, Josephine Bornebusch, Niclas Carlsson||March 28, 2014||July 17, 2014||1.485||2.80|
|Bruce and Emma are trying to adapt to their new lives in Sweden, and are especially frustrated over not having any place for private time with each other. Bruce tries to learn to speak Swedish. He also meets with one of his previous clients, and finds an unexpected friend.
Guest star: Will Ferrell
|Carl Åstrand||Greg Poehler, Josephine Bornebusch, Niclas Carlsson||April 5, 2014||July 24, 2014||1.515||2.90|
|Bruce and Emma finally move into Emma's flat in Stockholm and Bruce must get used to the Swedish cultural differences. The couple does not get the reaction they expected from the Swedish Immigration officials when applying for Bruce's residency. Meanwhile, Bruce's belongings arrive from the States, causing more tension in their relationship.
Guest stars: Aubrey Plaza, Amy Poehler
"Get a Job"
|Carl Åstrand||Greg Poehler, Josephine Bornebusch, Niclas Carlsson||April 11, 2014||July 31, 2014||1.200||2.52|
|Bruce starts to look for work and a previous client of his, Gene Simmons, finds out that Bruce has moved to Stockholm.
Guest star: Gene Simmons
|April 18, 2014||August 7, 2014||2.19|
|While trying to make new (Swedish) friends, Bruce instead encounters problems with his older Iraqi friend. Bruce tries to hang out with Viveka in an attempt to get her to accept his and Emma's relationships.
Guest stars: Illeana Douglas, Patrick Duffy
|April 25, 2014||August 21, 2014||2.32|
|Bruce gets a visit from his parents (Patrick Duffy, Illeana Douglas) who are shocked by life in Sweden. Emma tells Bruce that she believes she is pregnant.
Guest stars: Illeana Douglas, Patrick Duffy
|May 2, 2014||August 21, 2014||1.99|
|Amy Poehler offers Bruce a huge raise if he'll go back to New York and resume his old job and when he doesn't accept the offer, she enlists the help of Aubrey Plaza. Plaza then flies to Sweden and begins to stalk Bruce in an attempt to get him to go back. Bruce attempts to hire Swedish celebrities as his clients.
Guest stars: Amy Poehler, Björn Ranelid, Björn Ulvaeus
|May 7, 2014||August 27, 2014 (Online)|
|A family affair stops Bruce and Emma's plans to move back to the United States. Bengt takes advice from Bruce on how to flirt with a woman. Emma allows a friend to crash on their couch, only for Bruce to later discover he's an ex-boyfriend of hers.
Guest star: Malin Åkerman
|May 14, 2014||August 28, 2014||1.80|
|Bruce has returned to New York to help Amy Poehler with her financial problems. Emma tries to get her old boyfriend to move out of her apartment. Wanting to feel young again, Viveka goes out partying with her daughter.
Guest star: Aubrey Plaza, Amy Poehler
|May 14, 2014||August 28, 2014||1.53|
|Bruce discovers the truth from Aubrey Plaza. Emma and Gustav want to reunite their parents. Bruce goes back to Sweden but encounters problems after landing.
Guest stars: Aubrey Plaza, Amy Poehler
- A.^ The Swedish episode title is listed first, followed by the title used in the U.S. and Canada. The English titles are not necessarily translations of the Swedish ones.
The series has been renewed for a second season to consist of another 10 episodes.
- "Inspelningarna igång av TV4:s nya humorserie Welcome to Sweden - TV4". tv4.se. Retrieved 2014-01-11.[dead link]
- Elsa Keslassy @elsakeslassy (2013-10-08). "Mipcom: NBC Nabs Greg Poehler’s ‘Welcome to Sweden’". Variety. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "NBC Acquires Comedy Series 'Welcome To Sweden' From Amy and Greg Poehler, eOne". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "Welcome to Sweden: Coming to Thursdays on NBC".
- "Amy Poehler, Greg Poehler's Welcome to Sweden renewed for series 2 - US TV News". Digital Spy. 2014-04-07. Retrieved 2014-05-31.
- Bibel, Sara (August 4, 2014). "'Welcome to Sweden' Renewed for Season Two by NBC". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- "NBC Acquires Greg Poehler's 'Welcome to Sweden'". The Hollywood Reporter. 2013-10-08. Retrieved 2014-05-31.
- Interview in Nyhetsmorgon, TV4, 2014-10-11, retrieved 2014-11-24
- Lindborn, Håkan (2014-03-18). "This is 'Greg Pohler' in Welcome to Sweden". TV4. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- Lindborn, Håkan (2014-03-19). "This is Emma in Welcome to Sweden". TV4. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- "Synposis Episode 1". TV.nu. Retrieved 2014-03-21.
- "TV4 jublar över Welcome to Sweden". Dagens Media. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- Bibel, Sara (July 11, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Brother' Adjusted Up; 'Gang Related' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- "Synposis Episode 2". TV.nu. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- Bibel, Sara (July 21, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Brother' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 25, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'NY Med' Adjusted Up; 'Gang Related' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (August 1, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Brother', 'Rookie Blue' & 'NY Med' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (August 8, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: Final Numbers for 'Big Brother', 'Rookie Blue', 'Welcome to Sweden' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 9, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (August 22, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Rookie Blue' & 'The Quest' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 24, 2014.
- ""This country sucks the life out of people" - Welcome to Sweden (TV4)". YouTube. 6 May 2014. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
Malin Åkerman gästspelar i Greg Poehlers Welcome to Sweden som sänds onsdag 7:e maj klockan 21.00.
- Bibel, Sara (September 2, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Brother', 'The Quest', 'Welcome to Sweden' & 'World's Wildest Commercials' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- Official website
- Welcome to Sweden at NBC
- Welcome to Sweden at The Comedy Network
- Welcome to Sweden at the Internet Movie Database