|Kern County and the state of California|
|• Senate||Roy Ashburn (R)|
|• Assembly||Jean Fuller (R)|
|• U. S. Congress||Kevin McCarthy (R)|
|• Total||26.793 sq mi (69.394 km2)|
|• Land||26.642 sq mi (69.002 km2)|
|• Water||0.151 sq mi (0.392 km2) 0.56%|
|Elevation||2,654 ft (809 m)|
|• Density||99/sq mi (38/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||0255860|
Weldon is a census-designated place (CDP) in Kern County, California, United States. It sits at the southeast tip of Lake Isabella. Weldon is located 9 miles (14 km) east-southeast of Wofford Heights, at an elevation of 2654 feet (809 m). The population was 2,642 at the 2010 census, up from 2,387 at the 2000 census.
Weldon is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 26.8 square miles (69 km2), over 99% of it land.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Weldon had a population of 2,642. The population density was 98.6 people per square mile (38.1/km²). The racial makeup of Weldon was 2,375 (89.9%) White, 5 (0.2%) African American, 82 (3.1%) Native American, 11 (0.4%) Asian, 1 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 53 (2.0%) from other races, and 115 (4.4%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 217 persons (8.2%).
The Census reported that 2,636 people (99.8% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 6 (0.2%) were institutionalized.
There were 1,167 households, out of which 254 (21.8%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 541 (46.4%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 117 (10.0%) had a female householder with no husband present, 78 (6.7%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 78 (6.7%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 18 (1.5%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 351 households (30.1%) were made up of individuals and 179 (15.3%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.26. There were 736 families (63.1% of all households); the average family size was 2.74.
The population was spread out with 484 people (18.3%) under the age of 18, 178 people (6.7%) aged 18 to 24, 443 people (16.8%) aged 25 to 44, 856 people (32.4%) aged 45 to 64, and 681 people (25.8%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 50.7 years. For every 100 females there were 98.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.0 males.
There were 1,583 housing units at an average density of 59.1 per square mile (22.8/km²), of which 901 (77.2%) were owner-occupied, and 266 (22.8%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 4.2%; the rental vacancy rate was 7.8%. 1,923 people (72.8% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 713 people (27.0%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,387 people, 1,087 households, and 703 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 89.5 people per square mile (34.6/km²). There were 1,441 housing units at an average density of 54.0 per square mile (20.9/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 91.33% White, 0.42% Black or African American, 3.94% Native American, 0.46% Asian, 0.13% Pacific Islander, 0.88% from other races, and 2.85% from two or more races. 6.24% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,087 households out of which 19.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.2% were married couples living together, 9.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.3% were non-families. 30.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.20 and the average family size was 2.73.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 20.3% under the age of 18, 2.8% from 18 to 24, 17.6% from 25 to 44, 28.3% from 45 to 64, and 31.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 52 years. For every 100 females there were 97.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.4 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $22,857, and the median income for a family was $26,500. Males had a median income of $35,573 versus $20,208 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $15,243. About 14.9% of families and 18.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.7% of those under age 18 and 13.6% of those age 65 or over.
- U.S. Census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Weldon, California
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Quill Driver Books. p. 1125. ISBN 9781884995149.
- Historic California Posts: Camp Leonard, from The California State Military Museum website, accessed September 15, 2011
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.