Wellington Silva (footballer, born 1993)
|Full name||Wellington Alves da Silva|
|Date of birth||6 January 1993|
|Place of birth||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Height||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|2011||→ Levante (loan)||2||(0)|
|2011–2012||→ Alcoyano (loan)||16||(3)|
|2012–2013||→ Ponferradina (loan)||20||(3)|
|2013–2014||→ Murcia (loan)||38||(3)|
|2014–||→ Almería (loan)||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 12 September 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Silva joined Fluminense's youth setup in 2004, from lowly neighbours Portuguesa. In December 2008 he was invited to a trial period at Arsenal, and scored four goals in a single match against Norwich with the Academy. Silva returned to Brazil, however, and was assigned back to the youth setup at Flu.
On 28 February 2010 he made his senior debut, starting and scoring the second of a 5–1 home routing over Friburguense for the Campeonato Carioca championship; his Série A debut came on 9 May, coming on as a late substitute in a 0–1 loss at Ceará. In October, Silva was widely criticised by coach Muricy Ramalho, after Silva's complaints due to the lack of opportunities.
On 31 January 2010, Silva signed for Arsenal, and featured in a reserves match against Manchester United on 19 August 2010. He played the whole 90 minutes and scored, cutting in from the right to hit the back of the net.
On Thursday 9 December 2010 it was announced that the FA had backtracked on its initial decision to award Wellington Silva his "Special Talent Visa". The next day, it was announced on Arsenal's official website that the club planned to send him out on loan due to the fact he couldn't get a work permit.
Loans in Spain
On 12 January 2011, Arsenal loaned Silva to La Liga side Levante UD until June. He made his debut on the 29th coming on as a late substitute in a 2–0 home success against Getafe CF. Silva only appeared again on 21 May, again from the bench in a 1–2 home loss against Real Zaragoza.
On 10 July 2011, Silva rejoined the Granotes. However, after making no appearances for the Valencian side, he moved to CD Alcoyano in Segunda División on 12 January of the following year, also in a temporary deal.
Silva scored his first league goal for Ponfe on 11 November, but in a 3–5 home loss against Córdoba CF. He finished the season with 20 appearances (all from the bench, 425 minutes of action) as the Castile and León side narrowly missed out the play-offs.
- As of 15 June 2014
- "Promessa do Flu, Wellington Silva é vendido ao Arsenal por R$ 10 milhões" [Pearl of Flu, Wellington Silva is sold to Arsenal for R$ 10 million] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 31 December 2009. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Arsene Wenger signs a striker! ...But 16-year-old Brazil star Wellington Silva won't arrive for another year". Daily Mail. 1 January 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Flu goleia Friburguense por 5 a 1 no primeiro jogo do 2° turno do carioca" [Flu thrashes Friburguense by 5–1 in the first game of Carioca's second round] (in Portuguese). Rio Bola Cheia. 1 March 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Em noite de festa por volta à elite, Ceará vence o Flu em Fortaleza" [In a party night due to the return to top level, Ceará defeats Flu in Fortaleza] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 9 May 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Técnico do Flu detona atacante Wellington Silva: 'Nem jogador ele é'" [Coach of Flu destroys forward Wellington Silva: 'He is not even a player'] (in Portuguese). UOL Esporte. 22 October 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Reserves: Manchester United 1–2 Arsenal". Arsenal.com (Arsenal Football Club). 19 August 2010. Retrieved 21 September 2010.
- Martin (8 October 2010). "Arsenal guaranteed at least one January arrival". The Goon Blog. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Wellington to continue progress on loan". Arsenal.com (Arsenal Football Club). 10 December 2010. Retrieved 10 December 2010.
- "Wellington loaned out to Spanish side Levante". Arsenal.com (Arsenal Football Club). 12 January 2011. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- "El Levante está muy vivo" [Levante is very much alive] (in Spanish). Marca. 29 January 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Levante 1 Zaragoza 2" (in Spanish). Diario AS. 21 May 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Arsenal loan Wellington to Levante". Arsenal.com (Arsenal Football Club). 10 July 2011. Retrieved 10 July 2011.
- "Wellington jugará en el Alcoyano, cedido por el Arsenal" [Wellington will play in Alcoyano, on loan from Arsenal] (in Spanish). Diario AS. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Wellington joins SD Ponferradina on loan". Arsenal FC. 20 August 2012. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "El Villarreal no acaba con el gafe" [Villarreal does not stops the jinx] (in Spanish). Marca. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "El Córdoba arranca fuera de casa con un festival de goles" [Córdoba wins away with a goal festival] (in Spanish). Marca. 11 November 2012. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Wellington, al ser presentado en el Murcia: Tenía claro que quería jugar aquí" [Wellington, while being presented in Murcia: I had it clear that I wanted to play here] (in Spanish). El Mundo Deportivo. 14 August 2013. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "El Almería cierra el fichaje del brasileño Wellington Silva, un extremo rápido y de calidad" [Almería completes signing of Brazilian Wellington Silva, a quick and quality winger] (in Spanish). Almería's official website. 16 July 2014. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- "Wellington Silva profile". FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. Retrieved 2 March 2010.
- Wellington Silva profile at Soccerway