Welsh League Cup
|Number of teams||18|
|Current champions||Carmarthen Town
|Most successful club(s)||The New Saints
|2013–14 Welsh League Cup|
The Welsh League Cup (also known as the League of Wales Cup, Welsh Premier League Cup or Loosemores League Cup) is a cup competition in Welsh football organised by the Welsh Premier League. The competition was established in 1992 and is considered to be the second-most important domestic cup competition for Welsh football clubs, after the older and more prestigious Welsh Cup. Unlike the Welsh Cup, where 135 teams entered in 2008–09, the competition is only open to the members of the Welsh Premier League. It should not be confused with the Welsh Football League Cup, which is for the clubs in the Welsh Football League, which despite its name only covers the south and center of Wales.
Since the inaugural season in 1992/93 the format of the competition has changed many times. The 2006/07 season saw the introduction of a new format for the competition. Beginning in August, the eighteen premier league teams are split into six regionalised groups of three teams. The six group winners and two runners-up enter a quarter-final knock-out phase, followed by a two legged semi-final match before ending with the final in April.
The first Welsh League Cup was won by Afan Lido Port Talbot in 1992/93, who beat Caersws FC 4–3 on penalties, after drawing in the final 1–1. The New Saints hold the record for the most League Cup titles; they have won the competition five times. Bangor City hold the distinction of making the most number of appearances in the final and losing on every occasion (6).
Since 2003, the League Cup has been named after its sponsor, giving it the following name:
Past Cup Winners
Results by team
- Correct as of 12 January 2013
|Club||Wins||Runners-up||Total Appearance||Last final|
|1||The New Saints||5||1||6||2013|
|8||Connah's Quay Nomads||1||0||1||1996|
|10||Port Talbot Town||0||1||1||2006|
Note: The New Saints total includes wins under previous names; Total Network Solutions and Llansantffraid.
- Football in Wales
- Welsh football league system
- Welsh Cup
- FAW Premier Cup
- List of football clubs in Wales
- List of stadiums in Wales by capacity
- "The Loosemores League Cup". www.welshpremier.com. Retrieved 23 December 2010.
- "Welsh League Cup Final - Match Report 1992/93". welsh-premier.com. Retrieved 29 August 2009.
- "Welsh League Cup Final - Match Report 2008/09". welsh-premier.com. Retrieved May 2011.
- "List of Welsh League Cup Finals". The Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved 29 August 2009.
- "Welsh League Cup - All Time Results". welsh-premier.com. Retrieved 7 May 2011.