Welwick is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England, in an area known as Holderness. It is situated approximately 4 miles (6.4 km) south of the town of Withernsea and 2 miles (3.2 km) south-east of the village of Patrington on the B1445 road from Patrington to Easington.
The civil parish is formed by the village of Welwick and the hamlet of Weeton. According to the 2011 UK census, Welwick parish had a population of 297, a reduction on the 2001 UK census figure of 307.
A sand and gravel pit was established in the south-west of the parish in the 1930s, located parallel and south of Pant Drain, the site's development was driven by the 1930s building boom. The extracted material, which lay less than 1 foot below the ground was washed and grade separated on site by a rotary screen. By 1938 a rail tramway had been built to transport the excavated material to the main road - the line ran southwards from the midpoint of the B1445 between Welwick and Patrington, passing west of Haverfield House, to Oxlands Hill, and used a diesel shunting locomotive capable of hauling 120 tons; the material was transported in short wheelbase side tipping wagons.
- "Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics: Area: Welwick CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- "2001 Census: Key Statistics: Parish Headcounts: Area: Welwick CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 20 May 2008.
- English Heritage. "Church of St Mary (1366256)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- "Holderness Geological Curiosity : Golden Sand and Gravel Being Drawn from the Earth". The Times (Hull and Lincolnshire Times): 6. 1 October 1938.
- Ordnance Survey map, 1:10560, 1956. Approximate locations: Tramway terminus on B1445 ; Terminus at Oxlands Hill
- Nicholls, Mark (2004). "Wright, John (bap. 1568, d. 1605)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (Online ed.). Oxford University Press. Retrieved 12 February 2011.(subscription required)
- Gazetteer — A–Z of Towns Villages and Hamlets. East Riding of Yorkshire Council. 2006. p. 11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Welwick.|