February 26, 1974 |
|Occupation||CEO and Founder of Lemon.com|
Wences Casares is a technology entrepreneur, based in Palo Alto, California, with global business experience specializing in technology and financial ventures.
He is Founder and CEO of Lemon.com.
Originally from Patagonia, Argentina, Casares launched that country's first Internet Service Provider, Internet Argentina S.A. in 1994, a company he would go on to sell in order to found the Argentine online brokerage Patagon in 1997, working with partner Meyer Malka. With Casares serving as Chairman and CEO, Patagon established itself as Latin America's first comprehensive Internet financial services portal and expanded its online banking services to the United States, Spain, and Germany. Patagon was acquired by the Spanish bank, Banco Santander for $750 million in 2000.
Casares founded Wanako Games, a videogame developer headquartered in New York City with development based out of Santiago, Chile. Wanako Games developed the award winning game Assault Heroes honored as "Game of the Year" for Microsoft Xbox Live in 2006, and was acquired by Activision.
Casares is an elected member of the World Economic Forum's “Young Global Leaders of” Class of 2011 and regularly attends the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland. He is a member of the Young Presidents' Organization and was selected as an Endeavor Entrepreneur by Endeavor, an organization of which he later became a board member. Casares served on the board of the Viva Trust and founded the Fundación Síntesis. Casares studied business administration for three years at the University of San Andrés, in Buenos Aires, and completed the Owner/President Management program at Harvard University. He also spent one year as a Rotary Exchange Student in 1991-1992 in Washington, PA. in the USA.
- "Will Wences Casares's Lemon.com Replace Your Wallet?", by Bruce Rogers "Forbes"
- "The Difference between $1 Billion-Plus in Exits and 'Success'", by Sarah Lacy Techcrunch
- "THE SILICON VALLEY 100", Business Insider
- "En la Mente de Casares, por Alberto Fuguet", Revista Que Pasa
- "La vida después de Patagon, Revista Capital-Chile", Revista Capital
- "The $750 Million “Mistake”", Inc. Magazine
- "Wenceslao Casares: Merit and Entrepreneurship Rewarded", Americas Quarterly