|Education||Edinburgh College of Art; Pratt Institute, Brooklyn; Goldsmiths, University of London|
|Known for||Art, Contemporary Fine Art, Photography, Digital Media|
|Awards||Henry Moore Fellow, 1993–1995
Leverhulme Research Fellow, 2000
Creative Scotland Award, 2002
Leverhulme Research Fellow, 2010
Wendy McMurdo (born 1962 in Edinburgh, Scotland) is a British artist who specialises in photography and digital media. She attended Edinburgh College of Art, Goldsmiths, University of London and Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York where she first became interested in photography.
Her work centres around the relationship between technology and identity and she has produced several influential bodies of work which explore this theme.
Her first one-person show In a Shaded Place – the digital and the uncanny  was toured extensively by The British Council in the mid-90s. Her subsequent exhibition at the Centro de Fotografia Universidad de Salamanca in 1998 resulted in the publication of the first monograph  on her work. She has been included in numerous group shows, including Unheimlich, curated by Urs Stahel at the Fotomuseum Winterthur in Switzerland, Scanner, curated by Lawrence Rinder at the CCA Wattis Institute for Contemporary Arts, San Francisco, California, The Anagrammatical Body – The Body and its Photographic Condition at the Neue Galerie Graz am Landesmuseum Joanneum in Graz, Austria, and Only Make Believe – Ways of Playing, curated by Marina Warner at Compton Verney, UK.
Her work has been commissioned by The Science Museum in London and The Scottish National Portrait Gallery in Edinburgh, and is in a number of collections including that of the Fotomuseum Winterthur, The British Council, agnès b, Mario Testino, the National Galleries of Scotland, and most recently Seattle's Henry Art Gallery, WA USA. Her work has been the subject of documentaries for BBC2 and Channel 4.
Recent commissions include The Skater  for the Ffotogallery in Wales, 2009, to celebrate 30 years of photographic commissioning, and a site-specific project "The World in London" for the The Photographers' Gallery exhibited during the 2012 Summer Olympics. Her short film "Olympia" was showcased by Onedotzero as part of their Future Cities touring programme in 2011/2012. A retrospective of her photographic work was exhibited at the Institute of Contemporary Interdisciplinary Arts, University of Bath in 2011/2012.
- Hilde Van Gelder & Helen Westgeest (2011). Photography Theory in Historical Perspective: Case Studies from Contemporary Art. Wiley-Blackwell. Chichester, UK
- EXIT, Imagen & Cultura Issue #40, (2010). About 10. Rosa Olivares & Associates, S.L. Madrid
- Sylvia Wolf (2010). The Digital Eye: Photographic Art in the Electronic Age. Prestel. New York
- Ffotogallery (2009). Wendy McMurdo: The Skater. Ffotogallery. Wales.
- David Campany (Ed) (2007). Art and Photography (Themes & Movements). Phaidon Press Ltd. London
- Charlotte Cotton (2004). The Photograph as Contemporary Art (World of Art). Thames & Hudson. London
- Centro de Fotografia, Universidad de Salamanca (1998, 2000). Wendy McMurdo. Ediciones Universidad de Salamanca. Spain
- David Brittain (Ed) (1999). Creative Camera: Thirty Years of Writing. Manchester University Press. Manchester
- Gilda Williams (Ed) (1997). Strange Days – British Contemporary Photography. Charta Press. Milan
- Thompson, J. (1996). "Magical Mystories: Wendy McMurdo at the Site Gallery" mute, Issue 3. Retrieved October 16, 2008.
- Wendy McMurdo. Centro de Fotografia Universidad de Salamanca. Ediciones Universidad de Salamanca. 1998, 2000.
- "The Mix: Express Yourself. Programme 2: Wendy McMurdo - Photographic dreamscapes," Channel 4. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- Wendy McMurdo: The Skater. Ffotogallery Wales. Ffotogallery. 2009.
- "The Judges | Jill Todd Photographic Award". jilltoddphotoaward.com. 2012. Retrieved 14 March 2012. "Wendy McMurdo"
- Wendy McMurdo – Official website with comprehensive listing of artworks and publications
- British Library Oral History Archive – Oral History of British Photography: Wendy McMurdo
- Photography-now – Recent exhibitions
- Helen, Backstage, Merlin Theatre, 1996
- Girl with Bears, Royal Museum of Edinburgh, 1999
- Solo Violinist, St Mary's School of Music, Edinburgh, 1999
- Avatar (i), 2009
- New Media Scotland, 2011