||It has been suggested that Wenlock Series Lagerstätte be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since October 2013.|
||It has been suggested that Wenlock Group be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since October 2013.|
The Wenlock (seldomly also referred to as Wenlockian) is the second series of the Silurian. It is preceded by the Llandovery series and followed by the Ludlow. Radiometric dates constrain the Wenlockian between 433.4 ± 0.8 and 427.4 ± 0.5 million years ago.
Naming and history
The Wenlock is named after Wenlock Edge, an outcrop of rocks near the town of Much Wenlock in Shropshire (West Midlands, United Kingdom). The name was first used in the term "Wenlock and Dudley rocks" by Roderick Murchison in 1834 to refer to the limestones and underlying shales that underlay what he termed the "Ludlow rocks". He later modified this term to simply the "Wenlock rocks" in his the Silurian System in 1839.
Definition and subdivision
The Wenlock is divided into the older Sheinwoodian and the younger Homerian stage. The Sheinwoodian lasted from 433.4 ± 0.8 to 430.5 ± 0.7 million years ago. The Homerian lasted from 430.5 ± 0.7 to 427.4 ± 0.5 million years ago.
- Jeppsson, L.; Calner, M. (2007). "The Silurian Mulde Event and a scenario for secundo—secundo events". Earth and Environmental Science Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 93 (02): 135–154. doi:10.1017/S0263593300000377.
- Munnecke, A.; Samtleben, C.; Bickert, T. (2003). "The Ireviken Event in the lower Silurian of Gotland, Sweden-relation to similar Palaeozoic and Proterozoic events". Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 195 (1): 99–124. doi:10.1016/S0031-0182(03)00304-3.
- "International Chronostratigraphic Chart 2013/01". International Commission on Stratigraphy. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Murchison R.I. (1833—1834). "On the Structure and Classification of the Transition Rocks of Shropshire, Herefordshire and part of Wales and on the Lines of Dsturbance which have affected that Series of Deposits, including the Valley of Elevation of Woolhope". Proceedings of the Geological Society 2 (33): 14.
- Murchison R.I. (1839). The Silurian System. Murray. p. 208.
- The Geologic Time Scale 2012. Elsevier Science Ltd. ISBN 978-0444594259.