|Industry||geospatial, content management, Geographic information systems|
|Founded||Tampa, Florida, 2006|
|Founder(s)||W. Paul Bissett, Dave Kohler|
|Headquarters||Portland, Oregon, U.S.|
WeoGeo is a marketplace service that allows users to discover, transform and download geospatial data. WeoGeo launched at the 2007 Where 2.0 Conference in San Jose, CA. WeoGeo and Safe Software announced a partnership in 2008 to bring FME Server to the cloud on Amazon Web Services.
WeoGeo was established in 2006, and spun out of the Florida Environmental Research Institute, where the founders had worked together for nine years. It was founded to enable greater productivity in the geospatial industry by removing the vertical barriers to geo-content creation and sharing. In 2007, WeoGeo was a finalist in the Amazon Web Services StartUp Challenge. WeoGeo released their Library Appliance in the July, 2008 concurrent with their Market service. They released their Library, a monthly, Software-as-a-Service version of their Appliance, in March, 2009. WeoGeo left private beta on May 6, 2010 opening the service to the public. In the fall of 2012, WeoGeo became more focused on marketplace offerings.
Products and services
Today, WeoGeo's main product is the WeoGeo Market. It can handle millions of individual geo-content files and maps, ranging in file size from megabytes to terabytes. It is an internet B2B marketplace that enables geospatial professionals to search, discover, customize, and acquire professional geo-content within minutes of entry to the marketplace.
- ReadWrite (2010-04-09). "WeoGeo: How the Cloud Makes New Markets Possible". ReadWrite. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- O'Reilly Where2.0 (2007-05-29). "Weogeo: Mapping the Future". O'Reilly. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- Directions Magazine (2008-07-17). "Safe Software and WeoGeo Partner to Bring Spatial ETL Technology to the Cloud". Directions Magazine. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- All Points Blog (2009-11-17). "WeoGeo Makes Finals of Amazon StartUp Challenge". Directions Magazine. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Portland State Business Accelerator".