Weresharks are available to use as player characters in Night Howlers (1992), which resulted in Rick Swan describing them as one of the "oddball variants" of lycanthrope in the basic Dungeons & Dragons game.
The wereshark appeared in second edition for the Forgotten Realms setting in the City of Splendors (1994) boxed set, and under the "lycanthrope" heading in Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Two (1995).
A wereshark is a neutral evil human inflicted with a form of lycanthropy which enables it to take shark form whenever it chooses.
- Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual II (TSR, 1983)
- Dupuis, Ann. Night Howlers (TSR, 1992)
- Swan, Rick (April 1993). "Role-playing Reviews". Dragon (Lake Geneva, Wisconsin: TSR) (#192): 86.
- Pickens, Jon, ed. Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Two (TSR, 1995)
- Wyatt, James and Rob Heinsoo. Monstrous Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn (Wizards of the Coast, 2001)
- Baker, Richard; Ed Bonny; and Travis Stout. Lost Empires of Faerûn, 2005 Wizards of the Coast, Inc.