|Born||15 March 1917
|Died||13 October 1942
near El Alamein
|Years of service||1935–1942|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Werner Stumpf (15 March 1917 – 13 October 1942) was a German Luftwaffe ace and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross during World War II. Stumpf claimed 48 aerial victories, 2 over the Western Front, 23 over the Eastern Front and 23 over the Mediterranean Front. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Werner Stumpf joined the Luftwaffe in 1935, he participated in the Battle of France and the Battle of Britain. During the Battle of Britain he claimed his first two victories. Stumpf then participated in Operation Barbarossa, during which he claimed another 23 victories. In late 1941 he participated in the Siege of Malta where he claimed 6 more victories. During the North African Campaign he added another 17 to his total. He was awarded the Knight's Cross to the Iron Cross on 13 August 1942. On 13 October 1942 he was killed by anti-aircraft fire near El Alamein.
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- German Cross in Gold (25 February 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 13 August 1942 as Oberfeldwebel and pilot in III./Jagdgeschwader 53[Note 1]
- According to Scherzer as pilot in the 9./Jagdgeschwader 53.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 416.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 734.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1989). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe Jagdflieger 1939 – 1945 [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Luftwaffe Fighter Force 1941 – 1945] (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann. ISBN 978-3-87341-065-7.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.