|Born||Westley Watende Omari Moore
December 12, 1978
|Alma mater||Valley Forge Military Academy and College
Johns Hopkins University
University of Oxford
|Occupation||Author, television host, FaZe Member|
Wes Moore (born August 12, 1978) is an American author, businessman, and U.S. Army veteran. His first book, The Other Wes Moore, was a New York Times best seller. Currently, he is the host of Beyond Belief on the Oprah Winfrey Network.
Early life and education
Moore was born in Maryland to father Westley, a journalist and newscaster, and mother Joy, a native of Lowe River, Jamaica. Joy, born to a Cuban mother and Jamaican father, immigrated to New York City when she was 3.
After failing in private school, Moore attended Valley Forge Military Academy and College in Pennsylvania, graduating as Regimental Commander and class president in 1998. Moore graduated from Johns Hopkins University in 2001. He is a member of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity (initiated into the Sigma Sigma Chapter). Moore earned a Master of Letters in International Relations from the University of Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar in 2004.
In 2005-06, Moore served in Afghanistan as a U.S. Army paratrooper with the rank of captain. He was involved in managing the American strategic support plan for the Afghan Reconciliation Program. As a White House Fellow (2006–07), Moore was Special Assistant to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. Moore later joined Citigroup in New York, focusing on global technology and alternative investments.
In 2000, as Moore was preparing to attend the University of Oxford in England, he learned of another young man named Wes Moore who was just two years older, lived in the same neighborhood, and was heading to prison for life for the murder of an off-duty Baltimore police officer. He wrote to the other Wes Moore and received a reply. Through visits with the other Moore in prison and conversations with the prisoner's family and friends, Moore discovered parallels between their lives. Moore's book, The Other Wes Moore, released in 2010, is based on these interactions. The Other Wes Moore was selected as the "common read" for a number of colleges and cities.
- Wes Moore 2: Discovering the Beach, (Moore & McDonough, 2006)
- The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates (Spiegel & Grau/Random House, 2010)
- Discovering Wes Moore (Delacorte Books for Young Readers, 2012)
- The Work: My Search for a Life That Matters, (Spiegel & Grau, 2014)
Awards and honors
- 2009: named to "40 Under 40 Rising Stars", Crain's New York Business
- 2011: named to Ebony Magazine's Annual Power 100 List.
- Wes Moore (2003). Discovering Wes Moore. Random House. p. 6.
- Cowles, Gregory (May 7, 2010). "Inside the List". The New York Times.
- Wes Moore (2013). Discovering Wes Moore. Random House. p. 7.
- Valley Forge Military Academy (2010). Wes Moore '96 / '98C.
- 40 Under 40 – Crain's New York Business Rising Stars 2009
- Arts and Sciences Magazine Online.
- Donahue, Deirdre (May 7, 2010). "'The Other Wes Moore' author knows what might have been". USA Today.
- College Common Reads: Learning From 'Wes Moore' : NPR
- "Wes Moore – 2009 40 Under 40 – Crain's New York Business Rising Stars". Crain's New York Business.