||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013)|
|Birth name||Wesley Reid Scantlin|
June 9, 1972 |
Kansas City, Missouri
|Genres||Hard rock, post-grunge, grunge, alternative rock, alternative metal|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, bass guitar|
|Associated acts||Puddle of Mudd
Alice in Chains
Wes Scantlin has been guitarist and lead vocalist for rock band, Puddle of Mudd, since they released their debut album, Stuck. They released their next album Abrasive in 1997. Four years later, with the addition of three new members, Come Clean was released in 2001. In 2003, the band released Life on Display. Then they released the album Famous in 2007. Most recently Puddle of Mudd released Vol. 4: Songs in the Key of Love & Hate in 2009. The first single off the album was "Spaceship".Their most famous song is Blurry which hit number 8 in the U.K.
Scantlin sometimes tours with Alice in Chains guitarist Jerry Cantrell, playing acoustic Alice in Chains songs. He was also one of the musicians that participated in Alice in Chains reunion tsunami benefit show. Scantlin was one of the many artists who worked with Carlos Santana on his album, All That I Am, specifically on the song "Just Feel Better". The song was recorded with Scantlin and Steven Tyler; however, Tyler's version appears on the album.
Scantlin has been ranked in the Top 100 Heavy Metal Vocalists by Hit Parader (#96).
Legal issues and controversy
Scantlin has had many run-ins with the law over the years, including arrests for several of his controversial acts. In 2002, he and his then fiance actress Michelle Rubin were both arrested for allegations of domestic violence after witnesses reported seeing the couple, on their way to a video shoot, fighting on the side of Highway 126 in Piru, California. Several witnesses reported seeing Scantlin forcing Rubin into a Jeep Cherokee driven by an unknown third person. Sheriff's deputies and California Highway Patrol officers stopped the Jeep shortly thereafter and arrested the couple. Scantlin and Rubin were both booked at the Ventura County jail and were released after posting $20,000 bail each. The reason for the argument remains unknown.
During a 2004 show at the Headliners night club in Toledo, Ohio, Scantlin took the stage with his band, but after only four songs admitted to the audience that he was too intoxicated to continue. Frustrated, his bandmates walked off the set, leaving Scantlin by himself on stage. He remained on stage for another 30 minutes, insulting the crowd and singing random songs that seemed to be made up as he went along. Objects were then thrown back and forth between Scantlin and the crowd before he walked off the stage, where he was subsequently arrested by the Toledo Police Department for disorderly conduct while intoxicated. On the way to his booking, additional charges were brought after he repeatedly spat on the windows in the back of the police cruiser he was being transported in. He was released on a $150 cash bond. He said he would never play in Toledo again because he was arrested for "nothing". 
In 2012, Scantlin found himself in trouble again when he failed to pay nearly $45,000 in federal taxes in 2009, on top of a $17,000 tab for state taxes.
On September 4, 2012, Scantlin was arrested while traveling on a cross country flight from Boston to Los Angeles because he was intoxicated. The airplane had to make an emergency landing in Austin, Texas. He was charged with public intoxication.
In May 2013 Scantlin was arrested on domestic violence charges after he apparently dragged his ex-wife and then pulled her by the arm or the shirt.
On April 16, 2014, Scantlin had an on-stage meltdown during a show at Trees Dallas, in which he threw a microphone and beer into the audience, as well as appearing to threaten and attempt to physically attack members of the audience. He also received criticism as he appeared to be lip-syncing during the performance.
On 16 January, 2015, Scantlin was arrested in a Denver airport for riding on the baggage carousel and ending up in the restricted area.
- Bio at IMDb
- "Puddle of Mudd : Wes Scantlin : Lead Singer : Guitar". Puddleofmuddfanpage.com. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- [dead link]
- Puddle of Mudd Frontman’s Wife Attempts to Throw Out Prenup During Divorce Proceedings
- Graham Hartmann (February 9, 2012). "Puddle of Mudd's Wes Scantlin Signs Divorce Papers With Two Smiley Faces". Retrieved 2012-09-22.
- Goodman, Abbey (March 11, 2002). "Puddle of Mudd Frontman Arrested After Fight With Fiancee – Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "Rock Singer Banned From Graceland". Spinner. September 27, 2007. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "Puddle of Mudd Banned From Graceland". Cinemablend.com. September 30, 2007. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "Melodic Net – Puddle of Muddâ's Wes Banned From Graceland For Life". Melodic.net. September 27, 2007. Retrieved 2012-01-04.[dead link]
- "de beste bron van informatie over shoutmouth. Deze website is te koop!". shoutmouth.com. Retrieved 2012-01-04.[dead link]
- "Puddle of Mudd.html". The Gauntlet. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- Barrett, Simon (September 26, 2007). "Puddle of Mudd in Trouble at Graceland – Blogger News Network". Bloggernews.net. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "Barr's Music 101: Wes Scantlin". Musiconeoone.blogspot.com. September 30, 2007. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- Puddle of Mudd Singer Wes Scantlin Reportedly Owes $60,000 in Back Taxes
- Ethan Sacks (September 4, 2012). "Puddle of Mudd's Wes Scantlin arrested for antics during flight". New York Daily News. Retrieved September 22, 2012.
- Eleanor Gower (September 5, 2012). "Puddle of Mudd singer Wes Scantlin arrested after 'fight over alcohol on flight, forcing plane into emergency landing'". Daily Mail. Associated Newspapers Ltd. Retrieved September 22, 2012.
- "Puddle of Mudd's Wes Scantlin Arrested for Domestic Abuse: Report". Billboard. May 14, 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-01.
- "Puddle of Mudd singer in Dallas concert meltdown". Kegl.com. Retrieved 2014-05-08.
- "Puddle of Mudd's Wes Scantlin Arrested at Denver Airport". Loudwire. Retrieved January 19, 2015.