Wesley Chan was an employee at Google Inc. and is an investment partner at Google Ventures, the financial investment fund of the global search company. He has led investments in and sits on the Board of Directors of software/web startups, cleantech companies, and biotech firms.
Early life and education
Chan holds B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in computer science and electronic engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and completed his graduate research in the Personal Information Architecture group at the MIT Media Lab.
He also worked on Google Analytics and Google Voice. Chan led and managed the acquisitions of Urchin Software Corporation and GrandCentral Communications which became the foundation and inspiration for the Google Analytics and Google Voice services.
Among the projects he has led or founded while at Google include:
- The acquisitions of Urchin Software Corporation and Measure Map which became the Google Analytics service.
- Google Toolbar 2.0 and led the design of Google's popup ads blocker.
- The acquisition of GrandCentral Communications, a web telephony service that became the foundation and inspiration for Google Voice.
- The acquisition of Gizmo5, which also became part of Google Voice.
- Numerous features and improvements to Google AdWords and Google AdSense, including Google's first display advertising serving system.
- Google Talk instant messaging service
- Google WiFi access points
Awards and recognition
Chan holds ten US patents from his work on developing display advertising products and designing public WiFi access points for Google.
Chan is an accomplished photographer and has been published in numerous times in books and in the press. He also is the Chief Photographer Emeritus for Google.
- "Google Ventures Biography". Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- "Project Voyager MIT Media Lab". Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- "Google Blog: GrandCentral - All Aboard!". Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- Albanesius, Chloe (2007-07-03). "PC Magazine: Google's GrandCentral Buy Anticipates Web Voice Mail". Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- "Google Voice Blog: Google Welcomes Gizmo5". Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- "Google Talk Blog". Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- "CNET - Google employees' wireless patents published". Archived from the original on 2012-07-15. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- "Chan HP Labs Publications". Retrieved 2010-10-08.
- "VentureBeat: New DEMO Speakers Announced". Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- "Technology Review TR35 Profile: Wesley Chan". Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- "Chan Patents". Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- "Chan TED Biography". Retrieved 2010-09-01.