Dual gauge Eastern Railway line in July 2007
|Industry||Railway infrastructure owner|
|Predecessor||Australian Railroad Group|
|Paul Larsen (CEO)|
|Total assets||lease on 5,100 km Western Australia rail network until 2049|
|Parent||Brookfield Infrastructure Partners|
Brookfield Rail is a rail infrastructure owner and access provider in Western Australia with a long-term lease on the network from the Government of Western Australia. Brookfield Rail operates approximately 5,100 km of standard, narrow and dual gauge rail infrastructure in the southern half of WA, which serves as a crucial transport link in the region.
In December 2000, the State Government privatised Westrail, with the Australian Railroad Group, a 50/50 joint venture between United States rail operator Genesee & Wyoming Inc and Australian rural services company Wesfarmers, the successful bidder. Included in the sale was a 49 year lease on the below rail WestNet Rail infrastructure business.
In 2006 Australian Railroad Group was sold to a consortium of QR National and Babcock & Brown Infrastructure. The sale saw the business split with the above rail rolling stock and terminal assets passing to QR National, and the below rail infrastructure business to Babcock & Brown.
In late 2009, Babcock & Brown Infrastructure was renamed Prime Infrastructure and again by December 2010 to Brookfield Infrastructure Partners following their purchase of the business. In August 2011, WestNet Rail was rebranded as Brookfield Rail.
Brookfield Rail has a lease until 2049 on 5,100 kilometres of rail infrastructure throughout the southern half of Western Australia, from Geraldton in the north, to Leonora and Kalgoorlie in the east, and south to Esperance, Albany and Bunbury.
It is responsible for maintaining the network and granting access to operators.
- "Australian Railroad Group buys Westrail freight" Railway Digest December 2000 page 23
- Company History Wesfarmers
- ACCC approves QR and Babcock bid for ARG Rail Express 31 March 2006
- Queensland Rail and Babcock & Brown's proposed acquisition of certain assests from Australian Railroad Group Australian Competition & Consumer Commission 17 May 2006
- Our History Brookfield Rail
- Westnet Rail to become Brookfield Rail Brookfield Australia 17 August 2011
- Annual Report 31 December 2012 Brookfield Infrastructure Partners
- Non-urban rail routes covered by the WA rail access regime Economic Regulation Authority