West Beach, South Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
Southern West Beach, Adelaide Shores is in the midground, bisected by Military Road
|Population||4,332 (2006 Census)|
West Beach was first laid out in 1929 by Sir John L. Stirling, Sir Frank Moulden and Arnold M. Moulden, as trustees of 'The Settled Estates of F.J. and P.J. Gray'.
- This estate which in future will be known as "West Beach" at present consists of high undulating sandhills. The party inspected the work accomplished. This comprised the continuance to the sea, the distance of about a mile, of the Richmond Road, which previously stopped at the Tapley's Hill Road; the grading and topdressing of the sandhills, involving the removal of 200,000 tons of sand, and the building of an esplanade and three roads connecting it with Military Road, which was raised 8 feet and remade. The whole of the work was carried out under the order of the Supreme Court and the town was laid out under the approval of the town planner (Mr W. Scott Griffiths)....
West Beach Post Office opened on 5 May 1959 and closed in March 1982. In July 1982 West Beach North office (open since 1964) was renamed West Beach.
The age distribution of West Beach residents is skewed towards a slightly higher age bracket than the greater Australian population. 73.6% of residents were over 25 years in 2006, compared to the Australian average of 66.5%; and 26.4% were younger than 25 years, compared to the Australian average of 33.5%.
West Beach's white sands, coastal flora and wetlands are notable features.
Shopping and dining
The shopping centre on Burbridge Road services the suburb, and includes
- DRAKE supermarket (including newsagency and post office)
- Chicken shop
The cafe, pizzeria and fish and chip shop on West Beach Road services the local community as well as beachgoers.
There are numerous parks and greenspaces throughout West Beach.
The suburb is serviced by the following main road:
- Tapleys Hill Road, running north-south from Queenstown to Glenelg.
- Sir Donald Bradman Drive, running east-west between the City of Adelaide and West Beach.
The suburb is serviced by bus routes, run by the Adelaide Metro:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "West Beach (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 30 November 2010.
- The Manning Index of South Australian History - West Beach
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- City of Charles Sturt
- City of West Torrens
- Local Government Association of SA - City of Charles Sturt
- Local Government Association of SA - City of West Torrens
- 2006 ABS Census Data by Location