West Bengal University of Technology
|West Bengal University of Technology
পশ্চিমবঙ্গ প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়
|Motto||In Pursuit of Knowledge And Excellence|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Ranjan Bhattacharya|
|Location||Kolkata, West Bengal, India
|Campus||Urban, BF-142, Sector-I, Salt Lake, Kolkata-700064|
West Bengal University of Technology, is a public state university located in Kolkata, India. Founded in 2000 and funded initially by the Government of West Bengal, WBUT provides facilities for the pursuit of degree and advanced-level courses in engineering, management and other professional areas through affiliated institutions and in-house departments. The university has been accorded affiliating university status and is currently functioning through an Advisory Committee constituted by the Chancellor under the advice of the Government of West Bengal, as per necessary transitory provisions of the West Bengal University of Technology Act 2000. The latest survey by Dataquest's annual rankings of best Technical Universities/Colleges in India," WBUT made the top 25 and was ranked 22nd in 2012.
An announcement was made by the Honorable chief minister of West Bengal to rename West Bengal University of Technology to Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology. This led to a student agitation in the University in-house students' community and across the colleges affiliated under the university. Although officially there is neither any declaration made nor any step to rename the university has taken place. The university is still acting as WBUT or West Bengal University of Technology or UTech as per the West Bengal University of Technology Act 2000. 
The Government of West Bengal set up an expert Committee on December 31, 1998, under the chairmanship of Ashesh Prasad Mitra to explore the necessity and scope for the establishment of an 'Engineering and Technology' university in the state of West Bengal. Following their review, they decided that existing and forthcoming engineering and technology colleges needed the guidance of a technological university for the growth and improvement of technological education.
West Bengal University of Technology Act & Formation of University schools of studies
The West Bengal University of Technology (WBUT) came into existence on August 5, 2000. It started functioning with the assumption of office of the first vice chancellor on January 15, 2001 as a sequel to the promulgation of the West Bengal University of Technology Act 2000, under the West Bengal Act XV of 2000 passed by the West Bengal legislature and published in the Calcutta Gazette (Extraordinary) vide Publication dated July 20, 2000. The Act contemplates a General Council, an Executive Council, an Academic Council, Finance Committee and an Advisory Council as its regulatory and advisory bodies. The University in-house department first started with formerly IIIT-C (Indian Institute of Information Technology-Calcutta) and used to offer BE in Information Technology (Reference: School Of IT,WBUT). Later on, with the need of the industry and policies taken by State Government, for a better and quality engineering and technology education, School of Engineering and Technology - WBUT was formed which is in action still now, along with School of Biotechnology and Biological Sciences (SBBS - WBUT),School of Management and Natural Sciences (SOMNS - WBUT). Currently the in-house Department of Information Technology and Computer science & engineering of the university ( self-financing University Department) offers B.Tech in CSE and B.Tech in IT at the Undergraduate level which is undoubtedly the best CSE-IT department in West Bengal.
It has constituent autonomous departments/schools: The Department of Natural Science is also currently housed under SOM and is headed by the Director, School of Management. The Department of Industrial Engineering & Management, under the School of Engineering & Technology offers M.Tech in Industrial Engineering & Management. M. Tech in Industrial Engineering & Management – This is a two year AICTE approved in-house degree programme with an intake capacity of 18 students. The programme is interdisciplinary in nature and prepares students to undertake multi-disciplinary assignments in corporate organizations as well as equips them for academic / teaching positions in a multi-subject environment in a contemporary educational institution. The state-of-the-art encompasses a lot of engineering fields of study such as production and product system design, manufacturing, quality engineering & management, supply chain and logistics, ergonomics, reliability studies, enterprise information solutions and industrial management. Eligibility for admission to this programme is a B.E/ B.Tech degree in any branch of engineering / technology or equivalent qualification. Candidates with valid GATE score are eligible for AICTE scholarship.
Some special features of the programme include product modeling and technopreneurship. The Industrial Engineering laboratory is located in the ground floor of the University. The laboratory currently has CNC Milling and CNC lathe machines. The department uses software like AutoCAD 2006, AutoCAD 2000i, Statistica, Matlab as well as different flavours of Linux.
1. The latest survey by Dataquest "Dataquest 2012 – Dataquest's India's Top Engineering Colleges 2012 (DQ-CMR Top T-Schools Survey 2012)" on annual rankings of best Technical Schools in India," WBUT or specifically "School of Engineering & Technology/ School of IT- WBUT" made the top 25 and was ranked 22nd in 2013.
2. The university Industrial Engineering and Management department has participated in different CII summits and industrial links.
3. West Bengal University of Technology has been declared as the "Centre of Excellence in Environmental Technology and Mangaement" by DST-DBT, Government of India in 2014 for extraordinary contribution from the School of Biological sciences and School of Natural sciences under the University.
4. School of Engineering and Technology (Earlier School of IT- WBUT) has got seed support from IBM in setting up the IBM Centre of Excellence on the campus.
5. West Bengal University of Technology has taken up the project of Nationwide Environmental gamma radiation monitoring using TLDs for West Bengal.
6. The placement cell of West Bengal University of Technology has been ranked as one within top 12 tech-schools in eastern region of India by Infosys Ltd.
WBUT is recognised by the University Grants Commission (UGC). It offers an Integrated Ph.D. program in Physical Science and Chemical Science in collaboration with S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences. WBUT's School of Management and Sciences has initiated professional training courses in other countries for foreign students in collaboration with South Asian Management Technology (SAMT). The university has 209 colleges and institutes affiliated to it spread throughout West Bengal along with its schools of studies of maincampus.
- List of universities in India
- List of educational institutions in West Bengal
- Universities and colleges in India
- Education in India
- Distance Education Council
- University Grants Commission (India)
- "Affiliated Colleges of West Bengal University of Technology".
- Swamy, V. Kumara (January 3, 2008), "A pioneer’s take on tech... University of the week", The Telegraph, retrieved July 9, 2010
- "List of Indian engineering college rankings".
- "India's Top Engineering Colleges 2012 (DQ-CMR T-Schools Survey 2012)". dqindia.ciol.com. Dataquest. 15 December 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "No. of affiliated colleges under WBUT".
- "Degree Offered".
- Today, Kolkata. "State to name WBUT after Maulana Abul Kalam Azad". kolkatatoday.com. kolkatatoday.com. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- School of Information Technology
- "Schools in Wbut". West Bengal University of Technology.
- "Accreditations". West Bengal University of Technology.
- WBUT College List 2009
- West Bengal University of Technology - WBUT Inhouse and University Website
- West Bengal University of Technology - WBUT Controllers of Examination/COE Website