West Brook Senior High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008)|
|West Brook Senior High School|
Your stepping stone to a higher education.
|8750 Phelan Boulevard
Beaumont, Texas, 77706
|Type||Public High school|
|School district||Beaumont Independent School District|
|Color(s)||Blue and Red|
|Newspaper||The West Brook Times|
West Brook Senior High School is the largest high school in the city of Beaumont, Texas. West Brook is located at 8750 Phelan Boulevard. It is operated by the Beaumont Independent School District. The school's official mascot is the Bruin Bear.
West Brook is housed in the building that was formerly the second home of Forest Park High School. This Forest Park opened its doors in September 1968 and was a new campus after the original Forest Park, which opened its doors in September 1961, had been outgrown. Both facilities had been built as part of the South Park Independent School District. South Park ISD was the target of a federal school desegregation lawsuit in the late 1970s, which it appealed unsuccessfully to the U.S. Supreme Court. Forest Park was ordered to merge with historically all-black Hebert High School, with the former serving as a senior campus and the latter as a ninth-grade center (which was eventually closed and then reopened as Ozen High School). Students of both campuses voted to select the name, and West Brook High School officially opened in the fall of 1982. The merger occurred at the same time that the original Beaumont ISD voted to dissolve itself and be attached to the South Park ISD, which later took the name of Beaumont ISD. The desegregation orders for the former SPISD and the former BISD were largely unaffected by the merger.
Girls Varsity Soccer Team bus accident
On March 29, 2006, the varsity girls soccer team was traveling to a road game in Humble, Texas when their charter bus overturned outside Devers, Texas on Highway 90. Two girls were killed in the accident.
The team and their parents helped pass Ashley and Alicia's Law in Texas, which requires seat belts on all school buses purchased on or after September 1, 2010 and on all charter buses purchased on or after September 1, 2011.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)|
- Chip Ambres - former MLB outfielder
- Jerry Ball - former NFL nose tackle
- James Brown - former quarterback for the Texas Longhorns from 1994 to 1997
- Jay Bruce - MLB outfielder for the Cincinnati Reds
- Christine Michael - Seattle Seahawks running back
- Frank Middleton - former NFL offensive lineman
- Meghan Miller - 2006 Miss America's Outstanding Teen & appeared in America's Got Talent
- Taylor Reed - football player
- Jason Tyner - former MLB outfielder
- Mickey Washington - former NFL cornerback
- Beaumont Independent School District. (October 21, 2008), West Brook High School. Beaumont ISD Facts on West Brook. Retrieved on 2008-10-21.
- Cindy Horswell. (June 8, 2007), Perry signs bus seat-belt law at Beaumont school. Houston Chronicle. Retrieved on 2007-10-05.
- "Chip Ambres". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- "Jerry Lee Ball". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- "High Stakes Gambler". Sports Illustrated Vault. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- "Jay Bruce". Baseball-Reference.Com. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- "Christine Michael -". 247sports.com. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- "beaumontenterprise.com". Former NFL lineman Frank Middleton to be new Kountze OC. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- "Jason Renyt Tyner". Baseball-Reference.Com. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- "Mickey Washington". databaseFootball. Retrieved October 4, 2013.