West Coast District Municipality
Location in South Africa
Local municipalities within the West Coast
|• Type||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Herbrecht Kitshoff (DA)|
|• Total||31,119 km2 (12,015 sq mi)|
|• Density||13/km2 (33/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||16.4%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||SAST (UTC+2)|
The West Coast District Municipality is a district municipality located in the Western Cape province of South Africa. Its municipality code is DC1. Moorreesburg is the seat of the district. As of 2011 it had a total population of 391,766.
The municipality, which covers an area of 31,119 square kilometres (12,015 sq mi), lies along the Atlantic coast of the Western Cape, extending approximately 350 kilometres (220 mi) from north to south. It includes the coastal plain and is generally bounded on the east by the mountains of the escarpment, though in the case of the Cederberg mountains the border passes further to the east, along the Doring River, so that the mountains are included in the municipal area. The principal rivers in the area are the Berg River, which drains the southern part of the municipality, and the Olifants River, which drains the Cederberg and the northern part of the municipality.
The southernmost part of the district, adjacent to Cape Town, is known as the Swartland and is primarily a grain-farming area. The Berg River flows across the Swartland from its sources in the Boland mountains. On the coast west of the Swartland is the Cape Columbine peninsula, with a number of coastal holiday resorts as well as the ore-export harbour at Saldanha Bay. On the north the Swartland is bounded by mountains which separate it from the Olifants River Valley.
The upper valley of the Olifants is predominantly a citrus-farming region. The Cederberg mountains, much of which are a protected wilderness area, rise from the eastern bank of the river, while along the coast to the west are fishing and holiday villages. The Olifants river continues northwards until, on the edge of the Knersvlakte, it turns west towards the Atlantic. In the lower valley there is a narrow strip of lush agricultural land irrigated by the river's water. The Knersvlakte, which is part of the arid Namaqualand region, forms the northernmost part of the district.
The largest towns in the district are Vredenburg and Saldanha on the Cape Columbine peninsula, Malmesbury in the Swartland, and Vredendal in the Olifants River Valley. The district is divided into five local municipalities which are described in the following table.
The district borders to the north and northeast on the Namakwa District Municipality in the Northern Cape province, to the southeast on the Cape Winelands District Municipality, and to the south on the City of Cape Town.
The council of the West Coast District Municipality consists of twenty-four councillors, of whom ten are directly elected by party-list proportional representation, and fourteen are appointed by the councils of the constituent local municipalities: two each by Matzikama, Cederberg and Bergrivier, and four each by Saldanha Bay and Swartland. As of August 2012[update] there are fourteen councillors representing the Democratic Alliance (DA), nine representing the African National Congress (ANC), and one representing the Congress of the People (COPE). The mayor is Harold Cleophas of the DA, and the deputy mayor is Jacob Josephus, also of the DA.
The following table shows the detailed composition of the council.
|Appointed by Matzikama||1||1||0|
|Appointed by Cederberg||1||1||0|
|Appointed by Bergrivier||1||1||0|
|Appointed by Saldanha Bay||2||1||1|
|Appointed by Swartland||3||1||0|
The following table shows the results of the election of the ten directly-elected councillors on 18 May 2011.
|African National Congress||34,243||35.2||4|
|Congress of the People||4,493||4.6||0|
|The Peoples Independent Civic Organisation||1,228||1.3||0|
|African Christian Democratic Party||891||0.9||0|
|Pan Africanist Congress||719||0.7||0|
|Liberal People's Party||312||0.3||0|
|South African Political Alliance||185||0.2||0|
|South African Progressive Civic Organisation||162||0.2||0|
- Harold Cleophas (2011;present)
- Rene Kitshoff (2008-2011)
- Jacob Botha (2005–2008)
- Hendrik Potgieter (-2005)
- "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, age in 5 year groups and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, language and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Matzikama Local Municipality". The Local Government Handbook. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Cederberg Local Municipality". The Local Government Handbook. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Bergrivier Local Municipality". The Local Government Handbook. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Saldanha Bay Local Municipality". The Local Government Handbook. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Swartland Local Municipality". The Local Government Handbook. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- Census 2011 statistical tables accessible through Stats SA SuperWEB.
- "Political composition of councils". Western Cape Department of Local Government. August 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "West Coast District Municipality: Contact". Western Cape Government. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- "Seat Calculation Detail: West Coast". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "% Spoilt Ballots: Western Cape: All Municipalities". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 16 September 2012.