West Coast Institute of Training
|West Coast Institute|
|Type||Technical and further education|
|Location||Perth, Western Australia, Australia|
|Former names||1977 – North Metropolitan College of TAFE
1998 – West Coast College of TAFE
West Coast Institute (formerly West Coast TAFE) is the TAFE institute servicing the northern suburbs of Perth, Western Australia. The institute is based in the Joondalup learning precinct 26 kilometres (16 mi) and was historically known as the North Metropolitan College of TAFE.
The North Metropolitan College of TAFE began as two campuses in the Perth suburbs of Carine and Balga. Land for Carine Technical School was reserved on 19 March 1976 and an Order in Council giving authority to construct the college was gazetted on 22 April 1977.
With the reconfiguration of technical and further education in Australia in the mid-1980s, the North Metropolitan College of TAFE came into being. Construction of the Joondalup campus commenced in 1989, and the administration centre and the first blocks of classrooms were completed in 1992. On 6 April 1998, it was renamed West Coast College of TAFE. At the end of 2002, the Balga campus became part of Swan TAFE, primarily because its building and construction focus did not fit with West Coast TAFE's general profile, and the Carine campus was closed, with its hospitality centre moving to Joondalup.
The Institute has five academies in areas of particular importance to workforce development of Western Australia, namely:
- Aboriginal Academy of Sports, Health & Education
- Academy of Digital Technologies
- Academy of Health Sciences
- Academy of Hospitality & Culinary Arts
- Trades North
The West Coast Institute has four campuses:
- "Reserves (No.33924) (per 2941/74)". Western Australia Government Gazette. 19 March 1976. p. 1976:806.
- "Public Works Act, 1902-1972. Carine Technical School. Order in Council (per 463/75)". Western Australia Government Gazette. 22 April 1977. p. 1977:1082.
- "Vocational Education and Training Act 1996 - West Coast College of TAFE Order 1998 (per TB001)". Western Australia Government Gazette. 28 March 1998. p. 1998:1989.
- "20 June 2002". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) (Western Australian Legislative Assembly).
- Government of Western Australia (10 September 2009). "New face of training unveiled (Media Statement)".
|This Australian university, college or other education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|