West Dean, Wiltshire
West Dean is a former manor and small village in Wiltshire, (historically in Hampshire), England, situated on the Wiltshire/Hampshire border. The village was mentioned in the Cartularium saxonicum for the year 880 as (æt) Deone, as Duene in the Domesday Book of 1086 (one of the 51 holdings of Waleran the Hunter), as Westdone in 1265, and as Westdune in 1270.
Borbach Chantry was built in 1333. It has been designated as a Grade I listed building and is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. The chapel was built of flint with limestone dressings, about 1333 by Robert de Borbach as part of a fourteenth-century parish church, but is all that remains. When the church was demolished in 1868 the arcade which connected the chapel to the church was walled up and a new south porch added. The chapel contains a series of monuments, including those to the parliamentarian John Evelyn who died in 1684 and his family. Other memorials are to the Pierrepont family who inherited the adjacent manor house from him, which has since been demolished. The church was declared redundant in 1971.
More recently the village has seen the growth of the railway (Dean station is still open and active), the failure of the Salisbury and Southampton Canal system (walks exist), and the rise and fall of the MoD presence in the village.
- The geographic coordinates are from the Ordnance Survey.
- Victoria County History, Vol.4: Hampshire, 1911, pp.519-524, Parishes: West Tytherley with Buckholt, Manors: West Dean
- Ekwall, Eilert, The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 4th edition, 1960. p. 140. ISBN 0198691033.
- "Borbach Chantry". Images of England. English Heritage. Retrieved 8 October 2010.
- "West Dean, Salisbury". Churches Conservation Trust. Retrieved 8 October 2010.
- P.J.D., The Borbach Chantry, West Dean, Salisbury & Winchester Journal, April sixth 1928, page 9
- "Church Monument Handbook". Minerva Conservation. Retrieved 8 October 2010.
- "Order for the Borbach Chantry to become redundant.". Wiltshire County Council. Retrieved 8 October 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Dean, Wiltshire.|
- Village Design Statement, West Dean parish council, February 2009
|This article about a location in Wiltshire is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|