West Genesee High School
|West Genesee High School|
|The new main entryway of West Genesee High School in Camillus
We Celebrate Learning!
|5201 West Genesee St.,
Camillus, New York
Onondaga County, United States
|Type||Public high school|
|NCES District ID||3630630|
|NCES School ID||363063004119|
|Principal||Dr. Barry Copeland|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue & Gold|
|Nickname||West Genny, WG|
|Website||West Genesee HS|
West Genesee High School (colloquially referred to as West Genny or WG), is an American public high school in Camillus, New York serving ninth through twelfth grade students. The school is part of the West Genesee Central School District.
The school enrolled 1,737 students in the 2006-2007 school year. It is located in Camillus, New York, a western suburb of Syracuse, New York. The graduating class was 96% white (non-Hispanic) students according to the 2006-2007 school report West Genesee Report Card.
Recognized Academic Programs
The school offers a number of college-level course options for students through a variety of different programs.
Advanced Placement Courses
West Genesee High School offers a wide variety of Advanced Placement Program (AP) courses to its students. These courses are generally considered "much more rigorous than the general course offerings".
Courses offered include English Language & Composition, English Literature & Composition, World History, US History, Statistics, Calculus, Physics, Biology, French Language, Spanish Language, Studio Art, Music Theory.
Syracuse University Project Advance
In Addition to AP courses, the school offers a number of courses through the Syracuse University Project Advance (SUPA) program. The students receive Syracuse University college credits, but the courses are taught by teachers named adjunct instructors by S.U. and are taught in classrooms at the high school as a part of a student's regular day.
Onondaga Community College
The school also offers courses for college credit through Onondaga Community College, a local community college. Like the SUPA courses, these courses are taught in classrooms at the high school.
West Genesee Wildcats
Students are able to participate in baseball, basketball, bowling, cheerleading, cross-country, football, golf, hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track, volleyball, and wrestling.
The boy's lacrosse team, coached by Hall-of-Famer Mike Messere is widely recognized as one of the premier high school lacrosse teams in the United States, finishing the season 1st in the national high school rankings 8 times since 1990.
As of 2011, the program has produced 52 high school All-Americans since 1971.
The girl's lacrosse team is also a regional power. The team began in 1995 and quickly rose to local and national prominence. The team has won six state championships in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2008, and 2012.  Between 2001 and 2003, the Lady 'Cats won 67 consecutive games, and as of 13 October 2008 the team has won 48 consecutive games dating back to the beginning of the 2007 season.
The West Genesee hockey team is a 3-time NYS Champion both in 1990, 2001, and 2010.
The West Genesee hockey program has enjoyed its first undefeated season (25-0) in school history and has recently won its 5th back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back Section 3 Championships. Coach Frank Colabufo has added his 300th win to his 24 year career record.
A number of West Genesee's athletic teams have won state championships. As mentioned above, boy's lacrosse has won fifteen times. Boy's wrestling and girl's lacrosse have both won five. Girl's swimming has won three times. Boy's hockey and boy's track both have won three state championships. Football, boy's golf, girl's soccer have all won one state championship. Daniel Balestra was the lone state champion for boys swimming.
In the fall of 2007, the football team claimed its first New York State Class AA Championship. The team's head coach was former Syracuse assistant coach Steve Bush who is now on the staff of the Miami Dolphins.
On June 21, 2014, former West Genesee High School Softball Standout, Cristen Barry was inducted into the New York State High School Softball Hall of Fame
The Wildcat Marching Band is nationally acclaimed. The Wildcats have placed first in the New York State Field Band Conference Championship 33 times (31 formal championships) in the competition's 39 year history. The Wildcats have earned first place in the Falls Church Tournament of Bands and the St. Petersburg Festival of States, appeared in the Washington Cherry Blossom Festival Parade, several nationally televised Buffalo Bills and Jets games, and participated in 25 BOA regional and national shows, winning Class AA regionals 3 times and in 1990, winning Class AA at the BOA Grand Nationals competition. The West Genesee Marching Band also won the 2013 USSBA National Championship at MetLife Stadium on November 2, 2013. The band alumni from West Genesee High School also march every 5 years in what is claimed to be the largest high school alumni marching band in the world with some 500 marching members. They maintain a website at http://www.wgwildcats.com
Clubs and activities
In addition to academics and athletics, West Genesee High School also offers a number of clubs and other extracurricular activities.
These include Academic Decathlon, Drama Club, Technical Theatre club, Foreign Language Clubs, Model UN, Honor Society, R2 (Respect and Responsibility), Ski Club, Student Council and Class Senates, and Yearbook Club.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for West Genesee Central School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved Apr 25, 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for West Genesee Senior High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved Apr 25, 2012.
- "The New York State School Report Card". University of the State of New York. 2008-07-15. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "2008-09 WGHS Handbook". West Genesee Central School District. Retrieved 2008-10-13.[dead link]
- "Advanced Placement (AP)". The Good Schools Guide International. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "College and Advanced Placement Course Descriptions". West Genesee Central School District. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "SUPA - About us". Project Advance. 2007. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "Section 3 Websites". Section3Online.com. Retrieved 2008-10-13.[dead link]
- "WG Profile". West Genesee Central School District. July 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-13.[dead link]
- "Mike Messere". Greater Syracuse Sports Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "Facts and Stats". WGLax.com. Retrieved 2008-10-13.[dead link]
- "State Champions". Section III Lacrosse. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "Section III Champions". Section III Lacrosse. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "John Desko". Syracuse University. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "West Genesee Lady Wildcat Lacrosse". WGLax.com. Archived from the original on 2008-05-21. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "NYSPHAA - Record Book". NYSPHAA. 2008-06-19. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "West Genesee Lady 'Cats Facts, Stats, and Video". WGLax.com. Archived from the original on 2008-05-21. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "West Genesee captures boys, girls lax titles". Syracuse Online. 2008-06-14. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "About West Genesee". West Genesee Central School District. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- Neil Kerr (2007-11-25). "West Genesee, Ludden are football champs". News from The Post Standard. Syracuse Online. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "Coaching Staff: Profile". Miami Dolphins. Retrieved 2008-10-13.