West Hampstead railway station
Location of West Hampstead in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Camden|
|Managed by||London Overground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|OSI||West Hampstead 
West Hampstead Thameslink
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|— interchange||0.129 million|
|— interchange||0.132 million|
|— interchange||0.138 million|
|— interchange||0.263 million|
|— interchange||0.362 million|
|Lists of stations|
| London Transport portal
UK Railways portalCoordinates:
The station and all trains are operated by London Overground.
The station originally opened in 1888 and was called West End Lane until its name was changed in 1975. Rail services were operated by the North London Railway until British Rail took control of operations. The station later became part of the Network SouthEast system.
Following the privatisation of British Rail, the station was operated by the Silverlink train franchise from 1997 until 2007, when operations passed to Transport for London's London Overground system.
Anglia Railways used to run a regional rail service that called here, between Norwich and Basingstoke. This service known as London Crosslink, was discontinued in Autumn 2002 due to congestion on the North London Line and the financial return being less than that forecast.
The station received a major refurbishment towards the end of 2007, to coincide with the London Overground takeover. The ticket office has a new layout including automatic ticket gates and machines and the station is now staffed throughout traffic hours (as are all London Overground stations).
Accidents and incidents
- On 23 February 1937, an express freight train was derailed near the station.
|Stations in West Hampstead|
The station is situated within close walking distance of two nearby stations:
- London Underground: West Hampstead tube station (Jubilee line)
- National Rail: West Hampstead Thameslink railway station (Thameslink).
The arrangement of three separate stations (Thameslink, Overground and Jubilee Line) means that passengers wishing to change lines must walk along or cross West End Lane, a busy main road. A West Hampstead interchange proposal was put forward in 2004 by Chiltern Railways which would link the three West Hampstead stations with subterranean walkways. New platforms would be built for the Chiltern Main Line, and possibly also for the Metropolitan line, and the Thameslink and London Overground (formerly Silverlink) stations would be relocated on the east side of West End Lane. The redevelopment would involve demolishing existing buildings and the redevelopment of West End Lane as "a tree-lined boulevard". The plans were put on hold in 2007 due to uncertainty over the North London Line rail franchise. This has now been shelved with Network Rail instead redeveloping the Thameslink station by installing a second footbridge with lift access leading to a new station building on Iverson Road.
In early 2008, the London Group of the Campaign for Better Transport published a plan for an off-road, mainly orbital North and West London Light railway, sharing the orbital Dudding Hill Line freight corridor, and taking over at least one of the two Midland Railway freight lines which run through the neighbouring West Hampstead Thameslink station.
The normal off-peak service in trains per hour is:
|Preceding station||London Overground||Following station|
|North London Line||
|West Hampstead interchange|
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
Transfer at: West Hampstead
|St Pancras International
Transfer at: West Hampstead Thameslink
|St Albans City
|Camden Road or
Highbury & Islington
- "Out of Station Interchanges" (Microsoft Excel). Transport for London. May 2010. Archived from the original on 2012-03-12.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Joe Brown (2006). London Railway Atlas. Ian Allan Publishing.
- Trevena, Arthur (1980). Trains in Trouble. Vol. 1. Redruth: Atlantic Books. p. 40. ISBN 0-906899-01-X.
- "Planning Framework for West Hampstead Interchange Area Appendix 2". London Borough of Camden. 19 April 2005. p. 25. Retrieved 2008-07-29.
- "West Hampstead Interchange". AlwaysTouchOut.com. 11 January 2006. Retrieved 2008-07-29.
- "West Hampstead Interchange Draft Planning Framework". London Borough of Camden. 19 April 2005. Retrieved 2008-07-29.
- "Station interchange plans put on hold". Camden New Journal. 15 March 2007. Retrieved 2008-07-29.
- London Campaign for Better Transport North and West London light railway (NWLLR) / Brent Cross Railway (BCR) plan
- North London Line timetable from 22 May 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Hampstead railway station.|