West Hempstead (LIRR station)
Distant shot of West Hempstead Station from Hempstead Avenue on April 29, 2009
|Address||Hempstead Avenue & Hempstead Gardens Drive
West Hempstead, New York
|Connections||Nassau Inter-County Express: n15, n31, n32|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Electrified||October 19, 1926
750V (DC) third rail
West Hempstead is the terminal station at the east end of the Long Island Rail Road's West Hempstead Branch serving West Hempstead, New York, United States. It is located at Hempstead Avenue and Hempstead Gardens Drive.
West Hempstead Station was originally built in 1928 on the north side of Hempstead Avenue and relocated onto the south side of the road on September 15, 1935. The line initially extended north and connected with the current Hempstead Branch, leading to Mineola Station, and also contained a link to the Oyster Bay Branch. It was then cut back in the 1959 to its current terminus of West Hempstead.
Platform and tracks
|■West Hempstead Branch||toward New York (Hempstead Gardens)|
|Main||■West Hempstead Branch||toward New York (Hempstead Gardens)|
This station has one six-car-long island platform between the two tracks. The mostly single-tracked West Hempstead Branch expands to two tracks north of the previous station.
- Average weekday, 2006 LIRR Origin and Destination Study
- Official LIRR station information page for West Hempstead
- Station timetable for West Hempstead
- Former Mineola to West Hempstead Branch (Unofficial LIRR History Web Site)
- WM Interlocking (The LIRR Today)
- West Hempstead Station (TrainsAreFun.com)
- Station House from Google Maps Street View
|This New York train station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|